Velcro

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by firepit, Jun 18, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Im sure it has been covered.
    I ordered my gizmos last yr and they are clamp on...i hate the look of bungys hanging all over the bunk sides and ends.
    But the clamps are not strong enough to hold them on so i am going to switch to paper binders which seem to be much stronger.
    I also have trouble with gizmos staying under the roof lip...they shift and slide around.
    I am going to add the velcro inside the roof lip and have plenty of room as my roof box is quite deep.
    Should i use 1 in velcro or 2 in?
    I can sew the velcro on the gizmos if need be as i am good at sewing and sew trrestand seats and hunting clothes all the time.
    I have plenty of room to staple velcro inside camper roof if need be.
    Who else has done this and do you jus leave your gizmos attached when closing/ packing up or do you remove them each time?.
    Just using clamps is not working by myself as i spend more time clamping one side and going back and forth and if there is any breeze its a pain.
    I am thinking industrial strength velcro would hold it solid under the roof lip and then i can pull them tight and start adding clamps.
    https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand...1&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVtria

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Putting velcro on the Gismos is the easy part. Go with one-inch.

The harder part is putting velcro inside the top of the PUP. You need to secure it with a lot more than the weak adhesive that backs stick-on velcro.

I would do this: Get a roll of 1" velcro. Secure a strip of it with adhesive inside the lip of the popup top. Then put a screw through it every four to six inches, and a staple between each gap between screws.

For the Gismos, the trick is to attach the velcro but not to weaken the Gismo material. I would put one-inch velcro on one side, and back it with 1.5" or 2" webbing on the other side. So the webbing is wider than the velcro. That way when you're detaching the hooks from the loops the backing webbing can take the stress rather than the Gismo fabric.

gottaski and Rich Ard like this.
  3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I put pieces of two inch industrial velcro inside the roof and on the gizmos. I would velcro the gizmos to the roof and crank up the roof. I found the industrial velcro sticks really well to the gizmos.

gottaski likes this.
  4. firepit

The staples for sure...not sure about screws...they would have to be awful short and is there room to get a drill in there or do you use a stubby screwdriver?

5. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

I made my own gizmos after seeing a set of purchased ones in a campground 3 years ago. I used Velcro extreme for outdoor rough surfaces 2 inch. I bought the 15 ft roll and cut it half. I also used heavy duty 3/16in staples every 6 to 8 inches into the underside of the roof. Its stayed put and with a few tent stakes and bungee cords, has survived some serious wind. Most recently 50 mph with gusts to 74 in my yard in early May.

gottaski and firepit like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Seen a mod done by (I think) OzandUs , where he used some plastic siding J trim.. the pugs were velcro'ed to the J trim the the trim was slid over the roof end seal..

7. firepit

Thats a good idea right there...i may have check that out.
    Thank you

8. Tamela Hinson

Tamela Hinson New Member

Did you/they have to attach the J trim to the roof or is there enough tension on the trim to stay in place?

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Been trying to find his pictures on the web, but haven't had much luck.. IIRC he installed a couple small short screws along the inside of the front board and the J trim slipped over those screws..

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have the SHW pugs. I don't mind the bungie lines, and honestly in wind they are well worth it. I do have the velcro on mine. I used industrial velcro, 1" strip to secure inside the roof. I used staples to help lock it in place, so far no issues with the roof velcro.

The biggest problem I had, and I think it is specific to my pup, is the roof is ABS and has some weird contours inside. My pugs really should have been a couple inches longer - the only place I could put the velcro was about half way up the roof lip. This put greater stress on the pugs, and the end barely covered the seams of the bunk canvas. After a couple years of admittedly light use, the reflective side has completely pulled away from where the stitching was for the velcro. I will have to order a new set, or fabricate my own.

Ideally I would like to mount an awning rail on all sides of the roof and simply run a shade tarp - that would be far more effective than pugs, but require more effort on setup.

11. HamJam

HamJam New Member

New member here, doing research for ordering my first set of PUGs for my ‘95 Coleman fleetwood royale. Wanted to pass along a favorite online bargain site that usually has a variety of Velcro at surplus prices:

https://www.sciplus.com/s/?q=Velcro