Vent Installation

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by pineapplepete, Aug 10, 2015.

1. pineapplepete

pineapplepete New Member

Hello all, I would like to install a vent w/ fan on the top of my popup and I noticed on the inside that there are 4 plastic plugs that measure 14.5 X 14.5....is this where the vent should be cut in? I also noticed that it looks like the center seam or strip that runs front to back has to be cut....is that correct? Also, in order to get 12v power to the vent, can you connect to the ceiling light next to the proposed vent?

2. George Rose

George Rose Member

Poke on it and see if the area is hollow.

3. cmcarson

cmcarson New Member

Mine has that too. I have no idea if that's where it should be cut, but let me know if you try it, because I want to add one too. Good luck!

4. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Probably, might want to check with the mfg. You don't mention what trailer you have. I had to poke through 12" of Styrofoam horizontally in the roof to get to the adjacent light for power, but it was worth to not have exposed wiring.

I suggest you consider the MaxxAire reversible fan, I really like mine (7000K model). Very powerful when needed, or quiet with low power consumption using a proper brushless DC motor. Can also work as a "ceiling fan" to move air with the vent closed.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan.php

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The four pins should be about 14 inches apart. This is where you cut the roof. Drill a hole at each pin location to the outside ..... STRAIGHT .... measure the outer hole spacing, should match inside, 14 inches apart. Adjust as necessary. Next drill the holes to 1/2 inches, both sides. Mark, mask, and cut only the outer layer of the roof, then only inside layer of roof......... You want the leave the corners having a round corner, thats why a 1/2 hole.... this will keep the corners from cracking. Now with a hand/keyhole/hacksaw do the straight cuts to move the foam middle. If you look under the owner's manual section here, under shop manuals .......... air conditioner install there is detailed cutting instructions.
    [​IMG]

6. pineapplepete

pineapplepete New Member

Thanks all. Raycfe....the location for the vent, according to the 4 plugs, puts it right in the middle of a piece of aluminum trim that runs down the center front to back. I am guessing that this will have to be cut also and back far enough to accommodate the vent trim. My Taos has an aluminum skin on top and am guessing that there may be a seam underneath. TIA!!

7. davido

davido Active Member

The reason those four markers are where they are is because that's where the roof probably has structural reinforcements adequate to accommodate the weight of an air conditioner. This could differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, but for my Rockwood Premier, that is the case.

If all you are installing is a fan, there's no weight to bear, and it's probably ok to install the fan elsewhere.

I'm going to use boating terms for a moment because they are so convenient in accurately describing locations.

On my Rockwood Premier, there is a FanTastic Fan installed about eighteen inches forward of the stern, about eight inches inboard of the starboard side. But that's not where the official cutout markers were. The actual cutout markers are on the port side starting almost at the center line extending to port 14 inches. And the cutout markers are positioned such that the forward marker is approximately directly over the axle, and the aft marker is 14 inches back from there. That's where we've had our air conditioner installed.

So if you think you don't want to cut that center moulding (and I don't blame you!), you could possibly just locate the fan wherever you want, as long as it doesn't interfere with wiring, or with future installation of an air conditioner.

Check with your manufacturer to see if this advice applies. For my Rockwood, the fan was installed by the manufacturer, and they chose not to put it in the position that is designed to support an air conditioner.

8. grim509

grim509 Member

Yes, is the answer to all of your questions. I just installed a powered vent in our pup, and that is exactly what those plugs are for. You can run power from the nearest light. I forgot pics, but will get some posted next time I have mine open.

When you cut the opening, keep this in mind:
    Use a 1/2 drill bit to drill out the hold where the plugs are. Just pull the plugs and drill a hole. When you cut, it is extremely important to make sure you cut on the inside of the holes, just like in Raycfe's picture. This is to stop the roofing material from cracking in the future.

I love having the vent now! Not as nice as AC, but now, when we are boondocking, we can keep a bit cooler!

9. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Having a fan is a huge deal for comfort! No, it isn't A/C. But you can't use A/C when boondocking anyway. This is where a decent solar electric and battery setup (referred to as "power hogs" by some here [:D] ) really earns it's keep. I have left my fan running all night long on several occasions when it is warm out. Typically draws 1A to 2A at the lower speeds I use at night. Probably more AH than a furnace given the 100% duty cycle. But I've got more than enough power to feed it, keeping us cool and comfortable.

I like to set it to exhaust for sleeping and draw cool air in by my face through the bunk tenting screens.

10. edh

edh Active Member

Regarding marine terminology, the land equivalents are easy too: if imagine you've parallel parked with your camper, "starboard" would be called the curb side on land, while "port" is the street side. In most popups the door is on the curb side. Curb side and street side are also akin to passenger's side and driver's side, respectively, in the tow vehicle

It all depends on your frame of reference. Not being a boater I find curb and streetside to be easier than having to stop and think about port vs starboard.