Vent Lid question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ryangates13, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ryangates13

ryangates13 Member

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Flagstaff MAC 206LTD. My vent lid has bit the dust. I have a local dealer that has vent lids and I'm trying to figure out what size I'd be looking at . Does anyone know of the top of your head what size lid I'd be looking for. I'm hoping to find a universal one that will work in time for me to replace it this weekend.

Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Why do you think you need a new one? I removed mine, washed it off and put it back on.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Most vents are a standard size

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

14 X 14

5. davekro

davekro Active Member

Mine is looking well weathered and of questionable longevity. The raising arm lever is broken and the two replacement levers I have found don’t seem to be the right fit, though one looks like I could modify it to work. But since the hinge Assembly is almost $20 (and needs modification, I’m thinking I should just replace the entire 14x14 assembly. Anyone find replacements that worked well, or did not work out well?

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Replace the complete assembly and be done with it. They are not that hard to replace nor that expensive

WVhillbilly likes this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Only issue with replacing the entire vent is cleaning the old sealant, prepping the roof and resealing the new one. Personally I enjoy stuff like that because it gives you a good chance to see if there were any previous leaks and you know it is now sealed properly.

davekro and Raycfe like this.
  8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend throwing a MAXXAIR vent cover on while your doing this. You can leave the vent open in the rain with this... :)

bheff and J Starsky like this.
  9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Added a MAXXAIR vent to my pup, and my TT come with them. Had one crack and Menards stocked them in spring for $20. Cheap living~!

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

I too like the idea of removing the old and seeing the condition of my roof's sandwiched insides. I just realized that since my ceiling seam separated and dropped, this would be a perfect opportunity to inspect how the roof is constructed and how I can raise the drooping ceiling back up and secure it to something as yet unknown. Short of learning of a miracle way to re-attach or re-adhere the drooping ceiling I'm thinking of screwing a plate up into the ceiling, but I don't know if there is anything in it to screw into. If I HAD to pierce the roof aluminum to thru bolt something, I guess that is a last resort.
    Pup Ceiling-3.jpg Pup Ceiling-2.jpg Pup Ceiling-1.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=maxair...XXAIR+vent+cover,aps,208&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_18

I'd like ask about what the actual value is of a roof vent in a pup. How much trapped heat is in the top 8" of the pup on a hot day when I'd have the sides w/o sun beating on them fully opened. And if there is any breeze, I have opened the top 6" of one (or more) sun side windows for cooling match outside ambient temps. Am I missing something? Obviously in a TT that is mostly enclosed, a ceiling vent makes good sense.

Isn't the main purpose of an exterior MaxAir type vent to be able to keep the vent open on a TT while traveling down the road (great benefit for obvious reasons). While my wife adores hearing rain on the roof, that would seem a small % of use it ever saw as we hope to not have rain most of the time. ;o) So I guess I'm asking what functional value you find in the MaxAir type covers for a pup? I love the idea of getting to install two things in one installation, if it adds usefulness.

In my looking to replace my entire vent assy, I considered getting one with a fan. That is what made me think why would I need a fan. Then, heck, why do I even need a roof vent??? I look forward to learning what I am missing from you experienced pup folks. Reminds me of the old saying: "In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're Not!" ;o)

11. J Starsky

The Roof is a heat trap, and in our 1984, I know too many times I'd ask the kids "why is it so hot in here?" Well, the roof vent is closed.

And a rainy day, it is the only bit of air moving thru the place, unless you like rainy canvas in your lap. Moisture in the morning no the walls? Not if you leave that open at night.

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Davekro, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have never opened mine with the intent of using it as a vent. (Mine is powered). I really do not need the airflow as I have A/C and just use the fan that came with it. Many will open a side window and pop the vent, it allows air to flow and cool you off.

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

So is the roof a heat trap even when the side windows are fully or mostly, or even just a couple? I am new at this as we only have been on two trips so far. I can see how it being open in the heat of the day along with windows open could be a benefit. But does the MaxAir cover reduce the airflow a bit through the ceiling vent?

I have not experienced rain yet and in Calif, humidity is not generally an issue except on rainy days maybe. Would rain come into a window opened say 2" w/ no wind or on the leeward side of the wind?
    I have not experienced moisture on the walls (yet). I'm guessing that would happen on cool nights where all the windows are closed. For heat retention for cold nights, can a lower place be left open a bit, like the lower side edges of one or more windows to not have moist walls? What is the best compromise for heat retention and reducing wall moisture buildup? I have no basis of experience here, so please do not take my query as a negative. I really appreciate all the help and experience you all on this site offer!

J Starsky likes this.
  14. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I was camping (in California) one cold night. It had been raining really hard all day and into the evening. Had the propane heater going and didn't have the roof vent open at all nor any windows. The propane apparently produces a lot of water vapor? Maybe that or just us breathing. Anyhow, I'm laying in my bunk early in the morning and I get a drop of water hitting my face. I reach up and touch the roof of the bunk (vinyl) and get a mini-rainstorm. Lesson learned - keep the roof vent and/or windows open a crack to vent the moisture!

15. J Starsky

I'm in Minnesota. We have "wet heat" driving rain, high winds, stale heated air - and that's just a usual day in August. One of the hardest things for a fam of 4 in our pup was keeping it dry on the inside, either from rain or condensation inside. Just having that airspace open up top is awesome. And that vent cover really doesn't detract from it, it means you can leave it open constantly without rain worries. Which could blow thru in like 5 minutes up here. LOL

16. ryangates13

ryangates13 Member

My daughter and a friend thought it would be fun to hop on the pop up and walk around a bit, that's when the lid bit the dust. It didn't hold up to my 6 year old's weight :)

Dback2k4 and BikeNFish like this.
  17. davekro

davekro Active Member

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has replaced the entire roof vent assembly (not just the cover), or have knowledge on this, for recommendation of a brand/model that has a lid that is reasonably thick and durable. I was ready to pull the trigger on this Heng's one for $20 w/ a decent over all rating. But several reviews said the plastic deteriorated in less than one year. https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-71111-...ve&sprefix=rv+roof+vent,automotive,207&sr=1-4
    Sure it's best to cover a PUP when not in use, but that's crazy. Regular RV's and TT's don't get covered often. Do those folks replace vents on a yearly basis???

18. davekro

davekro Active Member

And I have not heard back yet if anyone knows what the construction of a late 90's Starcraft ceiling roof has in it. I need to figure out how to secure a drooping ceiling in mine. If I find a decent vent replacement, when pulling my old one, I would hopefully get that question answered and be able to see the cross section of the roof's construction thru the vent hole. Not sure if I could just drop the interior vent frame and see this cross section w/o messing with the roof seal on top. (another pic in post # 10)
    Pup Ceiling-2.jpg

19. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I replaced my entire vent when I got my Starcraft about 6 years ago. Was pretty easy. There are 4 screws holding the inside cover in place and that can be remove at any time. The outside frame had a LOT of screws and that byutal gray rubber. Super sticky, oozy stuff. Use plenty of new stuff and trim off what oozes out when you screw down your new vent.

The plastic dome rotted out sometime last winter and I got some water damage/mold I found this year. So I replaced just the lid with a metal one. Not much light come in there anyhow so I figured I go with a permanent solution.

20. davekro

davekro Active Member

Do you happen to recall the brand of vent assembly you got that the plastic cover failed in one year? My current plastic is in one piece, but the raise/lower hinge was broke. Neither of the two replacement hinges I was able to find were exact replacements, so I thought I'd look for a complete assembly. Did your metal lid come with a hinge? If so, That might be the way to go. If not, to get an assembly with metal cover.