Video of Front & Rear sideboard replacement on my 1992 Coleman Seneca

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Matt O, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Lately it seems that many people are posting about replacing the front and rear sideboard. I figured I should put this video up quick since it may help others.

I checked on my camper a few weeks ago and found the center seam had leaked over the winter. The roof was heavy with water and the front and rear sideboards were super soft. I promised my sister I would take my niece and nephew camping this summer or fall if I could borrow her garage for a week or two....or three. I cut the contact paper stuff to expose the wood and I ran a dehumidifier for 3 weeks in the popup in the garage. Looking back I would have cut through the wood and exposed the foam, it probably would have dried out faster and better.

I used to read the threads about people redoing their roofs and they always seemed to be carpenters or someone with more skills than me. I sit at a desk 40 hours a week staring at a computer screen. I am here to tell you.....It wasn't difficult. Just some time and thought.

As for resealing the center seam.....that wasn't difficult either. No video of that but the butyl tape that was original was very old and shot. Obviously that was where it leaked. I did buy an angle grinder with a wire wheel to assist in cleaning the "stuff" off the seam, being careful not to run it too long in one spot to wear a hole in the aluminum.

Some may not think my roof is "properly" done but hey....it's my roof and I'm happy with the way it is done.

Popup Sideboard replacment

2. SLackinone

SLackinone New Member

Looks Good

3. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Looks good, Matt! Thanks for taking the time to document the fix with your camcorder and posting it. That clarifies a lot.

In reference to the nuts on the studs that connect the roof assembly to the top of the lift arms (in your video they were very loose - one was backed about half way down the length of the stud.) It turns out they're supposed to be that loose. Here's a quote from the Coleman/Fleetwood Lift System Manual, page 33, installation of a new lift arm:

"Turn the locking nuts up onto the studs approximately half the distance of the threads.
    NOTE: Do not tighten the locking nuts. This allows the top assembly to move and fit over the trailer body when closing."

I knew they were supposed to be loose to let the roof move a bit in the wind, but I didn't realize they were supposed to be that loose. That tells me that I tightened mine too tight - I snugged them up , then backed off half a turn. Oops... [:!]

4. GOTSMART

GOTSMART New Member

Way to go and thanks for the video. I am starting this same project this afternoon on my pup.

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Nice work Matt O.

6. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Looks good!

Thanks for sharing the video. I need to do a similar project with my camper. (I'm just waiting for the money tree to bloom) [8D]

7. Starpass

Starpass New Member

Nice job! "No he's making a left turn." [LOL]

8. Matt O

Thanks everyone. Originally I had the video going so I could put it all back the same way. But after a little bit I thought I would post it so I took more video. I know this would have helped calm my nerves when I "popped the top" I like to know what to expect before I start a project.

9. Matt O

Dusty.....So PopUp Campers are supposed to have a few loose nuts? [LOL]

I will check out how it sits when closed and how it works when I use it this weekend. I can see the logic behind having them not tight but having them that loose???? I will have to search the portal to see if I can find prior posts regarding the lift posts....I know I read about tightening them so I did.

10. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I was surprised the manual said to only thread them on half way too. When I read that, I backed the nuts off a couple of full turns, but I didn't back them off half way.

BTW: Every time DW and I get into a pup there are a couple of loose nuts in it... [:D]