VIDEO REVIEW: 2019 Forest River Rockwood 2280BHESP

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by sstressfl, Jul 21, 2019.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

We traded in our 1997 Starcraft Popup Camper and bought a new Forest River Rockwood 2280BHESP. After 2 months of ownership we finally got it repaired, fixed and aligned enough to take it on our first camping trip. This is the full review.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

Great review, shame about the workmanship on a new trailer

sstressfl likes this.
  3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Excellent review!

sstressfl likes this.
  4. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Thank you!

5. CampingFamily1

I am grateful for many engineering designs on my Fleetwood/Coleman/Somerset as I watched the video of a Rockwood, which I think is the second best design out there after the Fleetwood. And since it is not easy to find Somerset dealers I can understand why people who like good engineering buy Rockwoods.

Pulling out the beds and setting the bed support poles is just a better design that required a Fleetwood box frame with a strong slide for the beds so beds slide easily and the support poles are attached under the bed for quick storage and setting in place and the bed easily rolls out on rollers that are lubed with dry silicone spray each year.

Cranking up the top is less likely to cause damage from overcranking and doesn’t rely on a visual cable to know when to stop, but instead has a mechanical stop on the wiffle tree cable that can be adjusted by removing the wiffle tree cover under the camper.

Extra safety roof support posts are not needed to be added over the lift posts when done cranking on the Fleetwood due to a better internal lift system design.

But nevertheless the Rockwood still works well if you treat it with care and it provides many days of great memories with your family which is most important!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    sstressfl likes this.
  6. PathfinderESP

PathfinderESP Member

Good video
    We have the same unit in 2018 year
    Thanks for the door stowing tip!
    The rust proofing is non existent.... I've changed the stabilizers on mine, cleaned up some spots on the frame and tidied cable loom into 1/2 inch split flexible conduit.

What's your thinking for not using the awning pole plugs on the side of the camper? See my picture with the pop-up up and awning out.
    I also figured you can unzip it before raising the roof but leave the tapes tied. Once it's up you can reach the tails of the tapes to release them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    CajunMan and sstressfl like this.
  7. CampingFamily1

If the paint that you used under your camper does not hold up you might consider using POR-15 (available on Amazon). It is the best paint I know to stop rust. Rustoleum paint usually does not stop rust. POR-15 dries like a hard enamel. The problem with rust is that once it starts, it's hard to stop it from growing. It's oxidation that works like a slow fire to rust away metal. Putting out the fire of oxidation requires eliminating oxygen needed for rust to continue. I've used POR-15 on areas that needed touchup and no rust returned.

I've used POR-15 on cars that begin to rust too. The problem with paint is that if you only paint one side of metal, and the rust as already started on the back side of the metal, POR-15 can't reach that area and it will rust from the back side. This has been my problem with mini-vans that rust. It's just too hard to cover all sides of metal and often both sides of rocker panels start rusting.

But on Campers that are seldom exposed to salty wintery roads, often rust can be stopped. I'd keep an eye on your paint job and let's hope it holds for many years, but if rust starts coming through now you have a better paint, POR-15, that can probably stop it.

Always use rubber gloves when using POR-15. It doesn't come off and dries fast on skin. You have to wear it off. And every time I use it I spill some on my hands.

sstressfl likes this.
  8. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Someone told me about the caps on the awning poles. I had no idea lol. I use them now :)
    I still use a 3 step ladder and open it after I raise the top

9. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

I used POR 15 on my first car 30+ years ago! I know it well :) it dries as hard as steel and freezes rust. Great stuff. The rust oleum is holding up. The camper never sees winter weather and gets stored inside in winter so I suspect it’ll last, but I keep an eye on it. Easy to touch up if needed. Thanks for lookin out! I agree POR15 is the permanent solution. Great tip

10. CampingFamily1

Great that you know about POR-15! Not many do!

sstressfl likes this.
  11. CajunMan

CajunMan Member

I didn't know about the upper ones till a friend showed me. They are hidden behind the zipped holder. The poles he has on the ground go into the lower bracket and the other poles click into the top. They didn't show me that during the walk through