videos of RV's on fire

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by turborich, Jul 31, 2011.

1. turborich

turborich Active Member

I ran across these on youtube. Pretty scary. There are a lot more of them catching fire. What do you think the cause is? I wanted to get an RV too but these videos make me nervous.

RV Fire

Motorhome catching fire

Hot motor home

RV in flames.wmv

R.V. on fire!

rv on fire

Massive RV Fire Live as the Fire Truck Arrives - RV Engulfed in Flames

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

Its' hard to say what the causes were. And yes the videos are frightening.

BUT videos of houses and apartments burning down are also scary. Would that make you afraid to live in a house or an apartment?

I would suggest,if you decide to buy one...

To be sure it has a working smoke detector and adequate fire extinguisher. Also be sure to have the RV electrical, cooling, heating and fuel systems (Gas, diesel, & LP) checked over by a COMPETENT mechanic or RV tech after purchase and periodically (yearly?) there after.

3. RichN

RichN New Member

Rodents are a good cause of engine fires. Sitting over the winter the little creatures make their nests in the engine compartments. Get it out on the road and POOF, their nests catch fire.

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

While there was no saving any off them as a volenter firefighter for about 30 years I found them interesting to watch. The second video was the most interesting to watch.

1. Fighting the fire with a booster reel not a enough gpm of water to do anything with not to mention truck probably didn't carry much water anyway

2. Man on hose did not have complete protective turnout gear on look like he had coat but no bunker pants on.

3. Nether firefighter had SCBA's on (air packs). The fire may have been in the great outdoors but the smoke from the fire was still toxic.

I can over look number one small rural department with not much money to work with may have been dispatched as a vehicle fire not an RV fire. But number 2 and 3 is inexcusable

5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

These was an RV that blew up in Alberta at a campground yesterday , a guy was working on his gas lines i beieve . I would imagine there is a You tube vid on it .

6. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

It seems to me the most RV fires I've known/read about were motor homes. Although there was some kind of research done by someone that was posted some years back that concluded that most RV fires were traced to the cook stoves. I've come upon a couple of RV campground fires after the fact, one a TT and the other a popup, and both were a sobering fact of what can happen ... the popup had just about burned to the ground. The good thing about these incidents were that everyone got out O.K., some with just whatever they were wearing. As a result I really try to watch my P's and Q's about fire safety.

7. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I'm a volunteer also (36 years) and I noticed the same things too.
    But did you see where they parked the rescue and the fire trucks? Under the burning power lines and down hill of the fire.

I know that in the third video they were using foam, but a 1 1/2" line and 300 gallons of water? Really? A fire like that we would have brought 2 Engines with 1000 gallons of water each with foam and use 3 inch lines. Even a "simple" car fire we would have brought our engine!

Of course, our policy is to get the fire out as quickly as we can so we can get home and have a beer [;)] [;)] .

8. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

We too respond with an engine followed with the tanker/pumper not a grass rig.
    Remember the days of riding on the tail board? I'll be retirering from it all in Oct of this year bad knees and shoulder and I just don't make the trucks as fast as I use to. No one use to beat me to the first out truck whether for fire or EMS now I'm lucky to make it to the station by the time the trucks are coming back. At age 57 it's a young persons job now. Yes on the beer nothing like a cold beer after a good working fire and something from the DW when you got home from it all made a perfect ending to it all.

9. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Bondo54 i was 22 years Vol Fire/Rescue if one of them got hurt the frist thing would be did you full gear on, our brush truck had 250 gallons and the 3 Egine we had 750 gallons and the tanker was 2500, and the ladder truck was 95 foot. some the smaller vol dept can not buy hole lot stuff. and the Rescue squad had 4 Ambulance 2 crash trucks and 1 chase car for the med.

10. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

That sound in the second video is really eerie!

11. chrisman34

chrisman34 New Member

[LOL]I am a a volly as well, and I was thinking the same thing! The main thing I took from these videos.....atleast in video 3 the FF (firefighters) had all there PPE (personal protective equipment) ON! The second thing is LOOK HOW FAST THEY GO UP! PLEASE make sure your smoke detectors are in good working order. The first video was a little over 3 minutes long and in that time it went from an engine fire in the back to fully involved!!!! EVERY SECOND COUNTS!!!!

12. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I immediately noticed the power lines in the first video. Having worked for cable tv for a while also, I am sure the bottom line was either cable tv or telephone, but there were a bunch of electric lines above when the camera jostled up there. I thought it was a stupid(if thats the word Im looking for) place to park the engines when they got on the scene.
    In the video with the grass fire unit... I was thinking maybe that was all they had available to them at the time and probably had back up coming...well, the FD I was in it woulda been that way. We would never have rolled to a vehicle fire with a brush unit. I was actually suprised at how much foam and water they got out of that truck.