VIKING / IDT LIFT System

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by wely, Sep 2, 2014.

1. FrobyPup

FrobyPup New Member

Hi MLC, and to all out there with this system, FrobyPuP here. I have spent much time rebuilding our IDT system over the last year and a half. I know seems long but a little at a time was all I could commit to during summer months, and my biggest chore was redesigning the cranking setup to try to reduce the extreme difficulty to lift the roof. So, in I guess answer to all I believe the lifting will always be severe, the IDT rebuild I did last year was a new spring, only one was kinked/chipped, new plastic guides, and two new gears. Also, my left hand bolt in brake system had broken too, simple I believe because of the sheer for needed to lift top. All reassembled last year, and began work on setting up a sound, stable, better geared crank. I shorted the existing chain, purchased a larger capacity toothed gear (32), and laid the system down horizontally with two pillow block bearings hold a 12 inch solid shaft that a friend welded a 1"nut onto the end, so I could us my existing crank that he also welded a socket onto to make my system very usable. Point! I was finally able to lift my roof last weekend, and it is still as heavy as ever. I believe this system is just inherently hard to crank. Pictures of project will soon be attached.

2. Da great outdoors

Da great outdoors New Member

Okay guys I got the lift down now my problem is punching the pins out of the gears at the end of the worm gears can’t get them out what do I do? Correct me if I’m wrong the gears have to be removed in order to replace the acme nuts?

3. Scott Ingleby

Scott Ingleby New Member

Hello All
    I'm glad I found this blog, I just recently purchased a 2006 Viking Epic with the IDT system and everything works fine however as mentioned previously it is a monster to crank up. Firstly, is anyone aware how to add power crank system?
    Secondly if I could get a copy of the PDF it would be greatly appreciated just in case something goes wrong in the future. my email [email protected]
    Thx Scott

4. DanDiego

DanDiego New Member

Howdy - I have a 2005 2465 legend - and a problem with the rear lifting. I have been following this - but no one has said anything about removing the water tank. I am wondering if this 'new to me' unit has been altered with the tank - which straddles the axle.

and, are you guys working underneath your rig with the wheels on the ground? My driveway has a slight slope, so I don't think I would use jack stands - but is there another solution to get it about 8-10 inches higher?

5. mrmixer2

mrmixer2 New Member

Where is the nut that holds the 2 drive gears in alignment? My system will only raise the back end of camper roof.
    I replaced 1 acme that was cracked and probably slipping on the worm roller. Springs all look to be in good condition. Any ideas would be appreciated.

6. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

Any luck removing the pins? How did you do it. I’m going to try a blow torch and try heat removal. If not they’re going to get grinded off and replaced with new regardless. This is the only thing holding me back.

7. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

FA916B68-DA4F-43B4-AEA2-F29E281F5859.jpeg

8. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

9. Richard E. Woodward III

Richard E. Woodward III Member

Did you get them off? I tried a hammer and heat. Ended up using a grinder and a cutting bit. Go parallel with the rod, accross the pin holding the Gear. The entire gear and pin came right out. Don't go to low and cut into the rod (worm gear)

10. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

Going to borrow some tools and make a Home Depot run. Those pins are nice and snug, very hard to get out. I’ll update when I find a solution. I’ve replaced the ratchet-pawl and brake sprocket, along with the spring. All I have to do now is install the 2 acme nuts and 2 new spur gears. Both acme nuts were cracked and the spur gears were worn. I hope I’m getting close to the finish line.

11. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

I ended up setting it on an anvil and got it level. I used various drill bits and driver heads. Finally found the right size nail punch from my Dad and used a little liquid wrench. It came right off with no problem. I have both acme nuts and spur gears replaced. I’ve reinserted everything back into the box with the springs but cannot get it to align properly. It’s difficult for me to align the gears without one of them pulling back. I’m hoping to get this done by the end of the week if my kids let me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

Finally got it fixed and popped up. No better feeling. I can really tell a difference in ease of lift by greasing up everything. State parks close by the end of October here in WV, hoping we can get it out this fall. Thanks to all who shared information with me to get this thing fixed.

Attached Files:

13. MrT61

MrT61 New Member

Have you seen this kind of problem? [​IMG][​IMG] What does the small screew in the middle (that's broken off) do exactly? Sorry can't get the image to upload correctly. Once the crank gears located at the rear bumper of the popup are removed, you see the end of the whiffle tree. There was a small hex head srew inside a short hollow shaft that came from the grears to the whiffle tree and screwed into the middle for whiffle tree end.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. WestVaViking

WestVaViking New Member

The images you posted are not showing up on my thread.

15. MrT61

MrT61 New Member

I know. I'm not having any luck at getting them posted correctly!

16. T braasch

T braasch New Member

Any info on Starcraft I have a 1994 starflyte can't find any diagrams

17. Ianbrown75

Ianbrown75 New Member

Need help on a 2012 Viking pop up, electric wench for the pop .is stuck 100 battery but switch wont work. Any help out there. It is stuck in the up mode so I can not haul it to a dealer

18. Arnel Puntilar

Arnel Puntilar New Member

19. Arnel Puntilar

Arnel Puntilar New Member

Tnx for the info...i finally found my parts after lo.................ng search.

20. MiMi&Poppa

MiMi&Poppa New Member

Hi FireCaptain, I'm very interested in any info you can give on this IDT/L&W lift system. We are trying to straighten out the mess left behind several redneck 'fixes'. Just when we think we may have this figured out....we find another kink. My email is [email protected]
    Thank you for your helpfulness!
    Mary & John Pharrid