Viking Low Rider

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by awizardsway, Aug 6, 2013.

1. awizardsway

awizardsway New Member

I recently got a 92 Viking Pup. 12 ft closed. It does not have stabilzers or jacks. It sets so low to the ground, approximately 8-10 inches from bottom of frame to ground. I have it sitting in the driveway that is relatively level side to side. I can adjust front to back level with the front wheeled jack but I want to stabilize it. The problem I have is that most stabilizers or fold down jacks need about 11 or 12 inches ground clearance to fold down our slide under the camper frame. Am I missing something here? I am not wanting to put scissor jacks on the rear just to stabilize the unit. Scissors jacks will likely hang down another 3 or 4 inches when closed further limiting ground clearance. I dont think an axle flip will work with this type of axle set up. Does anyomne know of stabilzers that are shorter, or someplacei can look for them? Etrailer listed only two items and neither will fit under my pup.
    I am also in the process of reparing the lift system, but that's for another thread. Yikes what a process.

2. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

Hey fellow Cornhusker! Can you use automobile scissor jacks and store them away when not in use, in the camper or tool box. I was thinking of the jacks that came with most GM cars of the 90's. they are pretty small and light and can probably be picked up at most salvage yards for a song. [8D]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

On our previous pup, an '84 Palomino that was low to the ground, we used the stack jack style of stabilizers. For the rear set, DH added a plate next to where the original stabilizers had been located, so the stack jack top had a place to sit, a bit higher than any other place on the frame in that section would have allowed. There had never been any stabs for the front of the pup, so it felt a bit tippy balanced on the nose wheel. We realized we could use the stack jacks anywhere along the A-frame, or the cross-beams for the LP bottle, depending on what worked best in a particular site - we tried to place them as wide across the pup body as we could, for the most stability.
    You can see the rear stabs in use here:
    [​IMG]
    at the Canyon April 2010 by kitphantom, on Flickr
    And the front ones here:
    [​IMG]
    another view or my 2 pop-ups by kitphantom, on Flickr
    As you can see, in our sloped driveway, we had plenty of clearance for the front stabs.

4. PullinTin

PullinTin New Member

Hi! I just got myself into a 92 viking as well. LOWWWW rider! I can't even back it into the driveway without it scraping to a halt. I didn't want to damage it, so parked it between the houses. Have you run into issues with it being too low just driving around?? I plan to take it to the local hitch and trailer and look at some skid wheels or perhaps an axle flip : )

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

6. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

The original posting is a month old...but if I were doing this I would buy the BAL stabilzers that are now standard on most pups instead of the stab jacks. They give the best clearance.

[​IMG]

7. ChocoChock01

8. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Also, the OP might be better served to search around in the subforum immediately below this one ... the Stabilizers subforum. Lots of posts in there about various options of stabilizing. This is, of course, the leveling subforum.

Good luck.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Mods must have moved it because it IS in the stabilizing forum

10. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Weird. I didn't play "forum police" on this one. I only pointed out the misplacement to help the OP ... there are many, many subforums on here and it can be easy to get lost or not find the info you're looking for. Just wanted him to be aware that there was a better, more specific subforum for his issue.

11. ChocoChock01

take your punishment and move on! [LOL]

12. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

Funny! My 1972 Viking is a lowrider too! I have to lower my jack to get the rear stabilizers flipped down into place. Just bought stack jacks and I hope they fit under the front seeing my jack is the front stabilizer.