Viking POP UP with Heco EZ Lift Sytem and folda side nightmares?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by biffdumas, Aug 19, 2014.

1. biffdumas

biffdumas New Member

I was given (for free) a 1988 22' Viking Pop camper with fold - a - sides & the Heco EZ lift system. The camper appeared to be in pretty decent shape considering the age. The issue was that all four pivot points on the lift system were broken or badly bent and close to breaking. I went online and found that the repair kits were readily available , but @ $100.00 a piece, I wanted to make sure the camper was decent on the inside before i made that kind of investment. Me and 3 other burly men maneuvered the top up and secured it with the existing arms, and placed heavy pipe on the upper and lower arms to hold it in place.

Everything looked great! I found that the AC in the roof had been removed and replaced with a window unit in the front over the tongue. I replaced that, with a bigger new one, and ordered the repair arm kits for the lift system. The parts arrived, and per instructions, I carefully held the old arms up, and marked and cut them to receive the new repair parts. I used bolts to secure the repair sleeve, and everything looked great! I went to lift it up with me and my brother in law, and the thing was so heavy we could barely lift it up. We checked the springs, and all appear to be pretty tight in the closed position. When you undo the latches though all four corners pop up free but stop at different heights. It took 4 folks to lift the thing up again, and now, on the fold a walls are not lining up on the roof gasket at the top along the cent portion of the wall. When you go to let it down, not only is it hard to slide the sleeves, but when all are up, the damn thing comes flying down like a rocket, and will eventually hurt someone, or break something.

Does anyone understand the adjustments or operation on this type of lift system? I am certain, a series of adjustments could possibly correct this, but at this point I am not sure. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. ammcf

ammcf New Member

My old 77 Palomino has the same problem, even though I've put in new parts on the lift system. Part of my issue is that my rebuild of the roof made it heavier. But I don't think it would have lifted properly even before that. You can see my entire journey here - http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=50602.0

I've been toying around with ideas based on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6Ctj3NcTI - I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts about it, especially if you put something together that actually works.

I've considered welding pipe/bases standing on end, on the front tongue and bumper to serve as "base support sleeves" that I could put the fence rail into for stability. I'd have to build some sort of "lip" or eye-bolts on the top of the camper for the lift to attach to. I just haven't decided on anything that I think would work well. Some of the issue is that since it has to do with the top, a wrong move could ruin things or cause a water leak that would give me headaches forever.

3. biffdumas

biffdumas New Member

The problem I am running into is, that I must have the only one that is this big. I was considering replacing the springs, to ensure that the roof lifts at all points at the same time. Do you think this may help?

4. biffdumas

biffdumas New Member

Ok so last night took the walls completely off the roof while it was up. I has to tighten the plywood shim the ran down the length of the camper as some of it had worked itself loose. I adjusted my repair arms, and reset everything. The camper collapsed much better. It opened better too. The only problem is, that when i went to open it again, on of the sides, did not go under the roof properly, not allowing the fold a wall to open all the way. Looks like I got a few more adjustments to make, but i am very close!

5. PHILLYGOAT

PHILLYGOAT Where are we going & why am I in this handbasket??

How did this turn out?

Phil

6. Dsmracer

Dsmracer New Member

Does anyone have the install instructions for the heco ezup repair kit they could send me? I didn’t get any from canvas replacements when I bought mine...I know this is an OLD post but any help would be great!