Viking split door

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by David pope, Sep 8, 2020.

1. David pope

David pope New Member

Have a new, to me, 2001 Viking pop up with a split door, half hangs from the ceiling, put together when set up. Is there a “trick” to hook up bottom and top? It takes longer to do this than set up, very frustrating, any ideas would be appreciated.

Sigrid the Haughty likes this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our Viking and Starcraft have near identical split doors.
    After leveling and extending the bunks I go inside and the first thing I do is set the door. With bottom and top halves in the closed position I insert the tabs on the top half door frame into the holes in the bottom half of the frame. Then push the top against the side of the roof and turn the wings to hold it in place. You can then fasten the latch that secures the two halves, but I usually don't bother as it can't go anywhere anyway. If the PUP is leveled properly and the cables are adjusted correctly this set of setup shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

3. Sigrid the Haughty

Sigrid the Haughty New Member

I also have a new-to-me Viking and my door is a mess! Seller neglected to mention the assortment of hollow wall anchors used to replace the original rivets (?), when we arrived at campsite a few days ago we found ourselves unable to set up the tent. Too bad this problem didn't show itself while I had it set up in our side yard for the past few weeks! Am now looking for advice on how to replace those fasteners. Nice to meet a fellow new Viking traveler!

Attached Files:

4. David pope

David pope New Member

What is the height of the top when fully extended, I think my guide wire is not allowing me to go high enough. Thanks

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Never measured it. It is closed right now and looking at pretty rough weather on the way. Unless someone has changed the wire it should be the perfect height.

Arruba likes this.
  6. David pope

David pope New Member

Green wire along front post, looks as if it might have been broken and reattached somewhere along, wondering if I can stretch a little if that would make it better?

vdotmatrix likes this.
  7. AMB

AMB New Member

I need to know the answer also. I can’t get my door to close to latch it at the very top

8. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ll guess my Viking is older than any discussed on this thread. My door takes a bit of finesse/force to put together, even with the lift height indicator cable tight. Once together it works well. The issue is there is a bit of deflection in the roof across the span. Mine is a 12ft box so a 12ft span with what is basically A 2x2 piece of lumber attached to a 1x4 or so.

My sequence is much like BillyMc’s. It helps to have 2 people, one to lift a little on the roof a little, though I’ve done it several times by myself. Joining the 2 door sections happens via a piece of channel aluminum on the top half. If that isn’t lined up well the bottom half, the frame tabs on the top that insert in the bottom frame slots won’t go together correctly. The top half hinge flexes over center and rests on the side, taking out the deflection. I do emphasize, the deflection isn’t much.

Good luck.

9. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

Please put your year and model in your tag line.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The height has to be correct and the camper fairly level.

11. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi. I have a 2003 viking saga G2107.
    Same kind of door.
    I recent replaced the green wire used for the cranking up gauge…they sell different sizes ..
    Look for it here for your model and length. https://www.hannarv.com/C/6798/Viking
    A
    lso, if the canopy is not raised to the optimum height, the door will be a bitch to deploy.
    But once you make the wire tightish, everything goes together nicely.