vintage heater!

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Katskamper, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If you use propane with a natural gas orifice it's going to burn hotter than designed for, put out too much emissions, or both.

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

C6B85615-3A66-40EC-A359-EB36C562A1B5.jpeg
    well!
    good ol Lloyd to my rescue again! he has all the tools.

he got the pieces apart, we both looked at the orifice. it had tiny hole, was black, so we think that IS the propane fitting. after we hit depot, & a propane grill place with no luck, united RV looked it up & ordered one for me.

im using a regular prpane hose with regulator on end that attaches to tank.

i took the whole heater apart, cleaned off 75 years of dust & rust, including a mouse nest.

i used paint stripper to get that ugly orange off & repainted it coleman red with silver accents

while banging it around, i knocked out a cup of grit rust from inside the burn chamber. wow.

after i reassembled it, it has a better flame, with air valve wide open.

sure looks better!

it will help keep me warm !

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Any place that supplies propane for home heating will have a large assortment of
    orifices

BillyMc likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Pictures of the newly painted unit!!!!!

5. Douglas Hooper

Douglas Hooper New Member

Hi All,

I was looking for an antique space heater site and stumbled across you. I am restoring an old Welsbach space heater and needed some information. Below is a picture I took of the gas train on my heater. The heater is probably set up for natural gas and I want to use it with propane. I assume I can use 11" WC like the heater in this thread. I don't know what most of the items on the gas train are, please help me identify them. Also, I do not know where the orifice is located I do plan on repacing it with one for propane. Also, this unit will be used outside so I am not too worried about CO or burning my house down.

Thanks for your help,
    Doug

A - Shutoff/Control Valve
    B - ? When pulled the rod it is attached to moves through D.
    C - ? Seems to be an elbow but has an adjustment screw on top.
    D - ? Screen tube, I assume other components inside.
    E - I think just fittings adapt to the gas line.
    F - Burner manifold.
    20210330_192326.jpg

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not knowing anything about this type of heater. C looks like an stove type intake , so it controlls the gas intake. Like a old stove oriface.
    B , is strange, but its ajustable, maybe an air intake / flow thing.
    That leads to d, i think this is for the air intake flow, so to distribute the air that b controlls.

I could be totally wrong. Fire it up with natural gas , check for leaks light it and see, then change it out for propane.

7. Zachary Yarnes

Zachary Yarnes New Member

I just want to say I joined this forum specifically after finding this thread, which appears to be the only information online about converting vintage ventless gas heaters to propane. I collect antique and vintage electrical fans (and space heaters) and have a couple old gas ones but I live in rural Texas (doing a shed to house conversion) and there's no natural gas out here unless you get your own tank. After freezing my buns off during the freeze in January (we were without power more often than with) I decided to implement a converted to propane gas heater in my mud room as part of my plans, just to use if the power is out (otherwise my electric heat is fine). Going to get a finer sized orifice for it and run the connections outside where I'll be able to have a propane tank. Just want to say this was good info! Additionally I'm trying to get my boss to sell me an old cargo trailer he has so I can convert it to a camper, so this looks like a good place to snoop around on in the event that actually happens

Attached Files: