vinyl wood flooring

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by MTcamper14, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MTcamper14

MTcamper14 Member

Just thought about sprucing up the PUP for the new camping season and thought that adding wood floors would look nice. I see that you could get pretty cheap vinyl wood floors at a Lowes or HD. Has anyone done this project? I am wondering if I will need to tear up the linoleum that is on the floor now or just lay it right on top of it? My guess is vinyl wouldn't add much in terms of weight to the unit but want to make sure on that too and also what the cost is that I would be looking at...(04 Coleman Sedona 10ft ). Thanks!

2. efehser

efehser New Member

Are you talking about something like this?
    If the sheet floor you have is in good shape you can lay it right over top. As far as weight, you'll probably need two cases, but won't use all of that. Lift two cases over at the HD, that's the max weight you'll add.

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

The PO did that in mine. This product was from Costco.

[​IMG]

4. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

I wouldn't think it would add 10 to 15 lbs. you want to watch around the door to the fridg to make sure the thickness of the new floor wont cause the door to not open. some campers don't have any extra height available to raise the fridg. buy a box and see if you can open the door after laying down a piece from in front of the fridg. if it doesn't open take it back. they wont care. just don't cut any.

5. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Lowes sells individual strips, less than $1 ea. I'd check for clearance on the frig and color.

Diane

6. chucknbob

chucknbob New Member

I put them my 72 Apache Mesa. Works great. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Looks great just have to take your time that's all

8. cannibal

cannibal New Member

I was just thinking about this. Picked up a pup this weekend and the floor is the first cosmetic item I'd like to "update".

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

9. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

How is it holding up? Had a friend that installed it in their kitchen, it scratched the heck outta the floor

10. sadayo

sadayo Member

I've decided on the vinyl plank flooring for my trailer as well. I know other pop up owners have put laminate planks in theirs, but had issues with the floor getting mildewed on the edges. My roof doesn't have any sort of insulation, it's just abs plastic which results in some condensation.

11. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We have used the Allure flooring from Home Depot in three rooms of our house. Love it. it's a great product and you can just put it over the floor that is there.

12. Hanne

Hanne New Member

We used a good quality "rustic wood plank" sheet vinyl, cut to fit and laid with no adhesive. In fact we also used it on the stepper door. It was thick enough that it laid as flat as a rug when we unrolled it. Got it at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

13. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I used the wood plank flooring in my Coleman. I roughed the old floor up really well and applied in about mid 60's temps. The one thing I didn't think about was the extreme cold and hot it will go through in the seasons being stored outside in WI. I opened the door today and it did slightly come up around the door. There are some scratches on the floor already from the removable ice chest that slides in and out which I was surprised about since its just a plastic backing on the chest. Maybe there was some sand or something on it. They recommended a primer to put down first which I didn't do and regret it now. Not sure if there was something else I should have done to make sure it had good adhesion. I just have to keep telling my self its just a camper :)

It does look much better than the old. It came out nice and I didn't have to use a loud saw which was a plus as I could do the install at night. It is pretty thick stuff. Ill see in the spring how well it does.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/davekkk/library/

14. capy235co

capy235co Member

Planning a snap in snap out indoor outdoor type carpet. Used it on a boat and the ability to snap it out and take a hose to it is a real plus. A snap kit makes it pretty easy to do.

15. jdirosa72@gmail.com

jdirosa72@gmail.com Member

Love the AC Mod, Looking to do same, how did you vent and drain it? can you post some pics of it on outside..... Thanks Joe

16. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

It's holding up well so far.

17. WadeT

WadeT New Member

And yet another project to put on the list while waiting on canvas!!!

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

yep, same here! another project on the wish list

19. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

that's on this winters agenda

20. skiball

skiball New Member

I have thought about this mod, but I'm a little apprehensive. Because of the extream fluctionations of weather here in Pa. I would need to leave a 1/2" expansion gap, then buy quater round for all around. I don't know how well this would stay on either. I think I will just stick to linoleum. I don't have to worry about expanision, it's cheaper, I don't need quater round, and it's even easier (not that this is hard). This is just my honest opinion. Yours might be different.