Virginia to Mt Rushmore 2022 - 4th of July

rosieposie7

Jun 11, 2020
Honestly there are a lot of things worth driving to in the Black Hills... it's one reason my dad loved that area and now I do too: you can set up a 'base camp' and go out in various directions. A day trip to Devil's Tower is well worth it too, although it's further than an hour...

Are you staying at Rushmore/Palmer Gulch KOA? We split our time between one of the Custer SP campgrounds and there due to availability. That KOA is both the most expensive, and smallest campsite I've ever had... but they had a lot of stuff to do and the kids enjoyed it (honestly we all did, even though I'm not used to being sandwiched between Class A's, and it was muddy and they wouldn't let me park in a place where I didn't have to stand in a puddle getting in/out...)

Can't beat the location though. If you want to splurge, they have horseback riding which we did on my son's birthday.
We are staying at R/PG KOA. It's not my go to type of campgrounds, since same feeling of "sandwiched". However your right, it's all about location. I will have to think of other splurges like horseback riding. Hiking a bit sounds amazing as well. However not too much as I have as young as a three year old and not equipped for long hiking. I'm loving everyone's input so that I can really think of ways to best use our time. I just need to figure more things to do to fill two days worth.

rosieposie7

Jun 11, 2020
South of Mt Rushmore is the town of Hot Springs. Hit the Mammoth site.

Don't forget Devils Tower. I was not impressed with Deadwood, kind of a tourist trap if you ask me and parking was a pain.

So mush to see in that area.

Have a safe trip and take photo for us.
Will do. Great idea to stop. We love all things fossils and dinosaurs.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
There is a dinosaur museum in K̶e̶y̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ Hill City as well. It is small but a worthwhile stop if you like that sort of thing. The group who found Sue runs it, and they're still not quite over the fact that they can't display her there lol (there was a long court battle that caused her to end up in the Chicago Natural History museum)

Last edited:

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
South of Mt Rushmore is the town of Hot Springs. Hit the Mammoth site.

Don't forget Devils Tower. I was not impressed with Deadwood, kind of a tourist trap if you ask me and parking was a pain.

So mush to see in that area.

Have a safe trip and take photo for us.
True. It is a tourist trap ( I live in one as well ) I was a big fan of the HBO series.

Latest posts