VW Atlas or Subaru Ascent?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by StarSeven7, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Seems like someone posted a couple months ago that they towed an Aliner w/ a Crosstrek using the paddle system w/ no probs, no way in hay would I do it, but that's just me...

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Well I know that the Dodge Cailibers (JeeP Compass) shared the same platform and drive chain.. The cvt's in those were either great or bad ( IIRC the company building them was World Engines, owned by Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota and someone else) .. The tow rating for the Caliber was 1200 lbs with brakes.. you could only get a 1 1/2 inch hitch for it and advised in the owners manual to only use it for things like bike rack, cargo carrier and a light trailer as the GCVWR was almost maxed out with 4 grown adults in the car.. Our cvt crapped out and was replaced under warranty..

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

I've got to admit, I think the BEST idea is to try before you decide to buy. If you can get even an overnight - or better - two day drive, you'll have the flexibility to take it out for a test tow (assuming the vehicle has the tow hitch installed). Regardless of anyone else's experience, you may love or hate it. I was never a lover of CVT's, but it was mainly because it just felt 'wrong', but my experience was minimal, and in a small honda (IIRC) - but, in fairness, it wasn't that long ago that the only place an automatic transmission 'belonged' in was in a slow passenger car - and technology marches forward - even when we may have some irrational hangups about it. Don't forget that while there may be some hesitation about adopting the technology, You are literally at less than 1/2 the towing capacity of the vehicle in question... further, the top sits below your roofline, so, while not 'non-existent', the 'parachute' effect isn't going to be that dramatic I wouldn't think. The OEM kit includes a 7pin connection and a brake control module - so, likely yuuge overkill for your application, unless you decide to go with a small/medium TT...

IMO, you need to take a test tow before you decide.

StarSeven7 likes this.
  4. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

That sounds like a great idea but I don't know of anywhere that would allow that. I guess we could check with some rental agencies but there's only 1 or 2 in town and they don't have a huge inventory!

NavarWynn likes this.