WA - New Washington State Pass Required at All State Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Washington' started by Trackside, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Trackside

Trackside New Member

I just wanted to post a heads up about the new "Discover Pass" Washington State recently wrote into law that requires a $30 pass to be purchased for each vehicle that visits a state park and or land managed by the state. I just booked a camp site at a state park and learned about this law for the first time.

Here is a snippet from the site: "Beginning July 1, 2011, you will need to display the Discover Pass on your vehicle when visiting state recreation lands managed by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, the Washington State Department of Natural Resources and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fine for not displaying the pass is $99."

and a link -
    http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

There are exemptions though so read through those. One of them is if you're camping in a Washington State Park. Then the camping receipt exempts you from having to have the pass, for the duration of your stay. If you visit another park while you're camping in another, you need the pass though. We plan to get one anyway, to support our park systems.

3. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I have lived in states where this was the norm, Wisconsin for years you have to display a sticker in your windshield and the fee for resident with camping reservations was $20 if I remember right. I think $30 is a fair price to visit all State facilities whether camping or not, looking forward to being stationed out there! Hope to be there by the end of September.

4. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I think it was the same way in Minnesota, if I remember correctly. And I agree that $30 is a fair price. We love to use the parks. If not for camping, then for day visits - for biking, kayaking or hiking. We're glad to have them and happy to support them.

I take it you're heading for Fort Lewis? You'll love this area.

5. br9

br9 Member

I spend 60 a year on my Texas state park pass. As long as it helps keep them open I don't mind.

6. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I am an Army guy going to Naval Station Everett looking at Lake Stevens for housing

7. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Next door in Idaho , a season pass in optional , and the day use fee is $ 5.00 a day . So $ 30.00 seems reasonable to me if you camp and or visit state parks on a regular basis.

8. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We're near Everett and are familiar with Lake Stevens. It's very nice. In fact, I like the whole general area of the north side of Seattle.

9. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We're good with the site now. I called the call center for the park and they were so gracious. The person I talked to said they'd just gone with Reserve America and that they're in the process of moving these particular sites to "call center only" for reservations and hadn't gotten that done yet. She moved us to another site with no problem. I feel so much better. :)

10. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

oops - Sorry. Posted this on the wrong thread. I'd remove it but I don't see how to do that. :(

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Here in Washington we can also support state parks by adding a $5 donation when the renewal fee notice for car or trailer license plates arrives. I just got home from a camping trip this afternoon and found the renewal for my TrailManor license in the mail. (I've only had it since January but the previous owner's cycle was July-July so that's what mine will be too.)

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Yes. And we've done that with all of our tabs, but it only totaled to $20. Dear State of WA. Please don't close any parks. :)

Nice that you got out camping. We're just getting ready to head out.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I have mixed feelings about these fees. On the one hand, I understand the thought that those who use government services should be the ones to fund them.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate charging for our parks as that can deter families struggling with the economy from being able to use them. I especially hate to think of parents being unable to take the kids to a park because they have to use that money to buy clothes or food.

Tennessee started charging user fees a few years ago and it definitely reduced the number of park users; fortunately, with a change of administration, the fees were dropped and now there is no excuse for any child to be left indoors.

I am all for donation boxes, "Friends of Parks" programs, specialty license plate fees, etc. I'm just troubled by admission fees and permits. Parks aren't just for the rich.

14. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

And the more people that can't afford parks will be forced into areas that are free. This will place a strain on those resources and increase litter and traffic ect . Parks IMO are already for people with resources .