Wacky wiring ?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Dsled, May 21, 2019.

1. Dsled

Dsled New Member

Hey there... Just got a 97 coleman Key West . plug in the power, knowing the battery is dead. First thing i fond that the upper two lights would not work. check bulbs, no power with meter. checked the plug on the out side going though the canvis no power. that's when I saw that all of the running light , tail lights , licence plate lights, were all on?? It's not hooked to my truck!!
    How could they be on ?? That't a seperate circit on it own right? So I started pulling fuses , there's 4 stacked verticel 15 15 15 10. I pull the top 15 amp and all the running light go off along with the LP switch light , water pump. Not sure what to thing. Any help would be great. Thanks Joe

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

It's possible the previous owner made a parking light mod to run 12V power to the parking lights. Some folks do that to make the rig easy to find at night. There should be a switch somewhere to disengage it. I'd say it is a bad ground, but in this case, you have a hot feed going into the tail light circuit.

The overhead lights is probably the cutoff switch for the kitchen. I think the Coleman's have a swinging sink with a microswitch under the sink swing. If that switch doesn't close, the overhead lights won't work.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine has a switch thats on the inside toung side of the camper that activates the parking lights. I think it supost to be for a trunk light.

4. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Probably the roof cutoff switch. Theres a small cut off switch that cuts power to the ceiling when the roof is down, to avoid burning the mattresses if you leave the lights on.

Sometimes it's a plunger type switch, or something that looks like a small spring type switch. Go outside and look around the roof trim if you see any switches or wiring. Mine gets tripped easily if even a small piece of canvas pushes it up.

5. Dsled

Dsled New Member

Thank you all for the tips on finding my problems. The upper lights had a broken cut off switch under the left corner of the swing up cab. the switch for the running lights is in the trunk light switch. You guy are all great, thanks so much! Joe

neighbormike, Sjm9911 and erich82 like this.