Waiting and thinking ahead

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by penny, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's going well. I was just talking to the owner of my local gym about surgeries and bad knees, etc. Exercise is really key to recovery. You have to push it a bit, but not to the point of extended pain.

I watched my dad go through two knee replacements. The first, he slacked on the PT. It never healed right and he had continuous pain and lack of movement. The second knee the different surgeon really stressed the PT. My dad stuck with it and that knee healed beautifully.

In the past 10 years, I had rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder, torn cartilage in both knees, misfiring nerve in my neck, severe asthma attack, kidney stone, stress issues, and a bit more. With all of that, my activity level dropped horribly. Since July, I have started on a weight lifting program. It has already made a huge difference. My thighs no longer turn into jelly walking up a flight of stairs. My endurance is quickly increasing back to a normal level.

I really recommend weight training to anyone who is trying to regain stamina and endurance. It is helping my knees and my upper back muscles. It's not making me feel like crap like aerobics always does. The owner set me up on a circuit that fits my needs. My doctor OK'd it. I can take my time and rest more or less between reps and sets as my body needs without losing the benefit.

My thighs had beome my most debilitating area because they had lost so much muscle with the knee issues. They are now the part that is responding the quickest to the exercise. Today, I added in the treadmill for the first time as my thighs can handle the incline.

That step stool is great. I have one in both campers. And it's a great height for using as a seat when accessing lower compartments. I just wish I could get Moose-dog to use it at home for the bed - he uses it in the campers but not in the house.

2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I truly believe it. My DH and my brother in law both had a knee replaced about 4 years ago. BIL took it easy with PT, DH worked hard. Same surgeon, but I just figured every body is different. But my Dr. said if I didn't do the work, I couldn't make the knee mine. I too have lost a lot of muscle strength because of the pain. I will absolutely look into weight training. I have PT today, and they have set me up for 8 sessions. She has me doing some of my exercises with ankle weights, and I haven't seen all the rooms and equipment they have yet. Thanks

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Your PT is an expert on how to recover from that surgery.... Heed their advice.

Arly, married to one for many, many years. A

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thanks, I really do what they say, and I can feel the improvement daily.
    Now I'm sure we could go camping, but our tow vehicle is at the shop for electrical troubleshooting due to pack rats chewing wires waaaay deep in the engine. [:(!]
    If we still had the little pop up we would have hitched up the caravan and gone.