wallmart really?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by PDieter, Dec 15, 2011.

1. PDieter

PDieter Member

I've seen a couple references to camping in the wallmart parking lot; is this for real?

so many things I read here seem very regional, is this another one?

2. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

I live about 2 miles from a walmart, so I will not be doing it!

That said I see campers there all the time over nighting. There are signs everywhere that say no over night RV parking and the such.

I also think it is more of an RV/travel trailer thing. Not a pup thing... I could be wrong..?

FL Bill

3. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

It's not camping. it's just a place to stop for the night while traveling long distances. RV's and Travel Trailers do it but should never open their slides or awnings and a pop up or hybrid opened would definitely be a no no. You don't set up chairs or grills or anything. Just a place to stop and sleep. A lot of Walmarts are RV friendly for "turtling" as they know those same people will likely spend some cash in their stores. Also, always ask permission of the local store manager, they may have a specific area they want you to park in.

4. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Regional? Overnighting here in Canada is allowed at most Walmarts.
    Happy Camping!

5. PDieter

PDieter Member

well that explains it but still very weird to me. I can think of plenty of urban environments I'd rather wake up to then a wallmart parking lot.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

it's free and for the full time RVers that are on the move between locations it's probably safer than a rest area.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think it is a general Walmart policy but individual stores may opt out if they wish.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Not allowed in St George UT.

9. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Each location has their own policy, but primarily the allowance of overnighting in a Walmart parking lot is for the big rigs and travel trailers when traveling. Some jurisdictions have opposed the practice and the Walmart Management will deny overnighting.

As to popup ovenight camping at Walmart....not really practical unless the PUP is 'self contained' with potty and holding tanks for grey/black water.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Obviously it is just an overnight while en route occurrence. In my area, since we first had a Wal-Mart come to town (maybe 15 years ago), I've seen one popup camper set up and it was sandwiched between two TT's, like maybe they were all traveling together.

As for my own experience,with a previous p'up, have setup for the night in the back lot of Cabela's (Dundee, MI). There were motor homes, 5th Wheeler's, TT's and I was the only p'up ... but I had a very comfortable night and when your dog tired a blessing indeed ... plus I liked the -0- cost.

11. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

When i go to work i see TT and MH off to one side of the parking lot it foe over night only

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our local Walmart has many RVs every night. During a hurricane, the entire parking lot, and every other parking lot in town, is packed with them.

There are a few people with vans and travel trailers that live between the Walmart and other area parking lots. One guy in a van even has a bird house in a tree where he parks his van!

One of the permanent parking lot residents has a huge (30' ?) TT that looks brand new towed by a tiny old beat up sedan. I guess he has to stay within a half mile radius because I doubt that car can tow him any further.

13. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

I know it's a very common sight in the East along I-95. WallyWorld is often located a short distance from an Interstate offramp. It's convenient for the overnighters and Wally's probably going to get some du¢kie$ out of the "campers" when they stop to restock.

When I lived in NC it wasn't uncommon to see plates from Ontario and Quebéc, PA, NY, MN, MI and a few other northern areas as the snowbirds headed south. That location was about mile marker 176 in NC - almost a perfect halfway between NYC and Miami.

There is the added benefit of security as well.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Flying J truck stops .. many of these also allow RV's (HTT's and TT's) to stay over night .. From what I have read some even have dedicated areas to keep the trailers away from the noisier transport trucks...

Oh and then there are some Camping Worlds that offer overnight camping as well ... I have heard but haven't really seen anything to confirm it, but Kmart apparently also offers over night stays ...

I think it's a great thing, allow folks who are traveling a long distance to stop for the night and rest and in the morning there will be a 80% chance they will spend money in your store/restaurant ...

I have read a number of posts by complete strangers and from people I know who have done this .. A few have even mentioned that once they have asked for permission, the managers have told them that he would notify security, so that 1) they wouldn't get woken up and told to leave and 2) so that security could keep an eye on them as well...

If things go as planned (my new plan) for next summer, we might find ourselves spending a night or two at a Walmart ...

15. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

This pic has been around a while.......

[​IMG]

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Just to clarify Walmart's policy as I might possibly use one for a travel overnight next summer.
    I did a little checking as I knew in the Northeast local municipalities were usually the reason Walmart didn't allow RV's overnight.
    This quote is from the Walmart corporate website.
    I know I wouldn't do it with a pup, but turtled in a Hybrid or in a TT, I might consider it for a quick overnight.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I stayed over night (4 hours) in the parking lot of the Burger King in Burlington NC , on our way from Raleigh (RDU) down to Charlotte in 2008 ... At 0130 in the morning the trucks were starting to get awfully fuzy looking (the day started out at 0630 the previous day) so we got off the highway and found Burger King (was the first place we came to that was open) grab a quick bite and I asked the manager if it was alright to park out back under some trees and catch a couple hours of sleep ... at about 5 in the morning we went inside had breakfast, thanked the manager and we continued on our way ..

18. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Again, it's not camping, it's overnighting, and it's quite common. Many Walmarts allow it; others don't, often because they are in leased space shopping centers whose owners don't allow it, or they are in municipalities where overnight rv parking isn't allowed. There's a whole Yahoo group dedicated to it, an iPhone app, and more information out there.

We never stay at Walmarts as we don't even shop there (too much of their stock is made by prisoners of conscience in China), but we do occasionally overnight at Flying Js. They are safe, well-lit, provide services for campers (propane refills, etc.), have clean showers, etc. We stay in a separate area than the trucks.

We do this when we are wardriving long distances. We'd consider it somewhat rude to show up at a campground after midnight, even though we can set up quietly in mere seconds with our a-frame pup. And we tend to leave by dawn anyway on those long haul trips. We can pull into a Flying J, pop the top, have a drink, and go to bed in a few minutes, and be on the way in the morning quickly. Plus we haven't shelled out $10 or $20 for a campsite we only saw in the dark.

We boondock where we can, especially out west, but overnighting works when we are doing long trips and have to drive late into the night. We've had no bad experiences. In fact, the Flying Js are well-patrolled and likely safer than most campgrounds.

19. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

That photo is pretty Hilarious.

I've read before that all they ask is that you are on your way by 8am... pretty smart of them if you ask me-- the odds of you (not) going in to shop for supplies must be fairly low. And THIS-- as reported yesterday in the news is probalby one reason that the 4 Walton siblings hold more total wealth that than bottomn 30 % of 'us'. lol

Reminds me-- The Bass Pro Shops here in Vegas--- opened up their parking lot on Thanksgiving for camping overnight in anticipation for Black Friday. They had fire pits blazing.... story telling, games for the kids... pretty cool!

20. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Our Wal Mart allows rv's and even allows PUPs to pop up. I have seen them and even asked a manager about pups after reading here that it was not allowed. I guess it is a store to store thing. They have to set up as far away as possible in the parking lot.

Our Cabelas also allows campers and has dog kennels and a horse arena for people with livestock. You can put your dog in a kennel with running water etc while you shop.

Its just good business to cater to travelers .