Wannabe Campers from Missouri

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Julie&Mark, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Julie&Mark

Julie&Mark New Member

Hi there,

So happy to find this forum. Mark and I (Julie) have the camping bug and have had for a couple years but haven't done anything about it. We have been trying to decide where to jump in and what we can afford. I felt a pop-up would be a great place for us to start and then we began to look at hybrids and really love those.

Right now, we have a Dodge Grand Caravan which has a towing capacity of 3600 lbs. From that, we know some pop-ups will work but the lightest hybrid we found that we liked was already over that weight limit. If we go that route, we'd have to buy a new TV which really isn't in the budget right now.

Hoping to get some suggestions from you all. It would typically be the two of us plus our 15 yr old daughter camping. We live in Missouri and plan to camp all over our state first before heading elsewhere although we may go into OK some as that's where our families are. There are definitely some hills around here.

Looking forward to learning and moving forward in this new adventure.

Julie

2. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

3. Julie&Mark

Julie&Mark New Member

4. Julie&Mark

Julie&Mark New Member

Oh, I see I can add the toilet! Yay! Definitely checking this out. Thanks again!

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Welcome from Illinois, Julie! We also have a Dodge Caravan. We simply added a hitch and it pulls our Jayco 10 just fine (over the flat, flat lands of Illinois at least). However, the back end does sag a lot so we are planning a suspension upgrade (air ride springs.. thingies...) this spring. Something for you to keep in mind. Our PUP layout is nearly identical to the one @BigRedTruck attached, just stretched out two feet longer. Works ok for our family of 5 (although I hate having to use the dinette as a bed, would rather have a full-time dinette). Seems like it could work great for 4 or less.

One tidbit I learned when shopping for a travel trailer - the bed sizes are smaller than regular bed sizes. A "camper king" is like 6-8 inches than a king in your house.

Julie&Mark likes this.
  6. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Welcome from mid-mo A-Liner owner here no stove, no water and no bathroom!! yes it works!!!

Julie&Mark likes this.
  7. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

Welcome from the left coast!

Julie&Mark likes this.
  8. kbierman

kbierman New Member

I am new to the portal. My sister and I bought a new 2017 Rockwood A213HW that will be delivered in about 10 days and we are super excited to experience comfortable camping. We've struggled with various pop ups for about 15 years and they were just more and more difficult to manage. Now we'll have twin beds, a cassette toilet for those late night needs, an AC, and a microwave!

KWAZ and Julie&Mark like this.
  9. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Welcome to the forum from Michigan!
    [PU]
    I hope you find something soon as the camping season is finally here!

10. 3amigos

3amigos New Member

11. 3amigos

3amigos New Member

12. 3amigos

3amigos New Member

Hi! My sister and I are also looking at the A213hw, but are getting mixed messages about our Ford Escape with ecoboost 2.0 can tow. ( 3500lb max). May I ask what you tow your with, and are you happy with it? Thanks!

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

IMG_E0007.jpg Welcome from the Connecticut coast.

14. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. Hopefully you will find the unit that best fits your family's camping style soon. Then ya'll can start making memories. Good luck and happy Camping

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome from Northern Virginia. You can try and rent a popup to see if it may be something you would like. They also make a frame pop-ups that could work for you as well. Many here have gone from tent and work their way up. I'm personally on to my second popup now. My first was an old bear bones Jayco. It was sufficient for me and a great way of finding out what I liked and didn't like. My second popup is much bigger and heavier and has almost all the amenities then again the family situation changed as well and had to work around that. Good luck.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome from South Carolina. We are Aliners (Scout), also. It has worked for us, so far.