Want to Add a porta-potti to Coleman GT Mesa

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by WeLoveCamping, May 31, 2019.

1. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Our particular PUP did come with a bathroom/shower. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how to add one?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You can get a portable toilet, and add an outside shower tent? Probubly eaisier then installing a sholet.

3. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

We just got a portable one and set it against the wall in the popup. Like this one. We still have young kids and the convenience is worth it. Are you looking to install a shower too? That's trickier, unless you have an outdoor shower attachment and can just use a shower tent or string up a shower curtain. If not, I'd recommend a solar shower.

WeLoveCamping likes this.
  4. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Thank you for the advice. We do have an outside shower... I'm contemplating removing part of a fold-down bed/couch to make an area for it. The heights I've seen are 16" which places it just below the counter.

5. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We added a booster so our portapotti is standard height

Here is a link to more photos

[​IMG]

6. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Thanks for all your pics. Gives me ideas!

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First a question - is your camper equipped with a water heater? If so, you could easily emulate my in dinette seat shower - pics start here, click on the "i" at the top right of each pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

For a toilet I bought a Thetford electric flush 585 porta potti and modified the cabinet beside the entry door so I could remove it for cleaning after a trip even when the roof was down. The current equivalent these days is the Thetford 565E porta potti.

https://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-565e/

WeLoveCamping and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Thanks, yes, mine does have an 6gal water heater and an external shower.

9. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Those are some very ingenious project undertaking you have there! I like how you insulated the fridge area & included the 12v fan to exhaust the warm air. My WH is in the forward storage area & the cabinet too small b/side our dinette. You have given me some ideas. Thanks for sharing!!

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

11. GreyFox

For those who would prefer an outside shower it's much simpler and not all that costly to just buy an outside shower tent, sold just about everywhere. For collecting grey water throw down an old towel, place a Rubbermaid bin on it, and stand in the tub while showering. The tub will collect most of the grey water generated and what isn't will be absorbed by the towel which can then be air dried. We did just this with our Santa Fe before I installed an inside shower, using a PahaQue TeePee shower tent.

[​IMG]

12. GreyFox

Regarding porta pottis ...

Generally they're available in 2 different heights, the difference being the capacity of the waste tank - about 2.5 gals or ~ 5 gals - which in turn means the smaller one will be shorter, often then requiring some sort of DIY base to elevate the toilet seat to what a home toilet would be, about 17". If one is intending to limit potti use to #1 then this is a viable solution but if you're intending to use it fully as you would a home toilet then in my experience you're far better off with one that has a 5 gal waste tank. This will get most families through a weekend / long weekend of camping without having to service the potti waste tank until the end of the trip. If you can modify the cabinet in which it's sitting so the potti can be removed with the roof down so much the better.

Most porta pottis are manual flush with either a bellows or plunger but we much prefer an electric flush model which runs on a set of AA batteries that will last at least 2 seasons before needing replacement. As mentioned earlier we had a Thetford 585 electric flush, the current version is the 565E. I built a tray for the potti to sit in and glued a piece of carpet to the underside so it would slide out easily from it's stored position in the potti cabinet but later added wheels which made moving it just that much easier, even for our boys who were quite young at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CampingFamily1 and WeLoveCamping like this.
  13. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

I’ve going to purchase a similar tent and I like the add-a-room. Is it custom?

14. WeLoveCamping

WeLoveCamping New Member

Thanks for the idea. We’re getting the 565E and I’m going to modify the U shape couch/bed to install the 17” unit.

15. GreyFox

The Add-a-Room was the stock Fleetwood model sold at the time, obviously no longer available since the company is out of business. You'll sometimes see them advertised for sale in the used market though.