Want to Convert Pop-Up to Hard Side

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by skinnyminny, Jun 14, 2015.

1. skinnyminny

skinnyminny New Member

So I'm looking to change this [PU] into [HYC]

The "plan" is to strip down the fabric top, leave the foundation structure and using pallets and other recyclable wood to build a solid hard shelled camper! My only concern is how to attach said structure to the bottom of a pop-up and so that it will not wobble, leak moisture, and is able to handle motion.

I've seen some projects online, youtube, pinterest, etc., but either they show one midway photo, or people have done a complete overhaul and have stripped down popups to the bare bottom trailer and then built from there. I'm not that adventurous or looking to invest THAT much money.

I saw one photo on here of a man who had a pic showing the basic wooden framework attached to the top of the pop up, but no photos of the finished product.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever attempted anything similar?

Thanks!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

IIRC, there have been a couple of other people over the past few years planning to do this mod, but I don't remember seeing any reports of finished projects, nor of any such camper in use.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have not seen a finished project either. Maybe because they realized what the total weight would be? [?:~{]

4. capy235co

capy235co Member

5. skinnyminny

skinnyminny New Member

I had thought about the weight issue too, you are right that may be a big problem! I will have to see what's the maximum weight some of these popups can handle before I get ahead of myself.

Thanks for the tips!

6. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

Take PIX of your project. I would love to see how it turns out..

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The frame would probably support a teardrop camper. The aye usually light. Plans are available on line

8. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

If you're doing that much work, it might be easier to just scrap most of the roof and walls and start from scratch. That way, you'll be able to make it the way you want and use more conventional building techniques.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Why not just sell the pup and buy a small TT oe HTT ...

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this comes up so often. If I decide I really would rather have a car not a pickup, I trade it in, not try to frame out the cargo area into a back seat and trunk.

Pop-ups are simply not built to handle the stresses of driving with the top up. Strengthening them to handle this is going to make it MUCH heavier than a travel trailer, and the end result is going to be half-a**ed.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I don't think it is worth the effort. I would call it money wasted unless you plan on keeping it forever. I saw a dual Jayco on Craigslist that had been made into a HT. The work looked good. Asking price was $1800.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

you only hear the planning and beginning but not the end. I assume they almost all end in disaster.

13. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Think it would be a very interesting build but think if I were to do it, I would strip it down to the trailer frame and build from the ground up. If I were going to take it on then I would like it be completely mine and not some sort of a Frankenstein.

14. gruss

gruss Active Member

I was thinking this same thing, and now they're all utility trailers because everything blew off the frame.