Want to paint my 1967 Wheel Camper

lovemy1968pop-up

May 24, 2011
I have a 67 Wheel Camper in excellent condition, however, over the years my roof faded, and just this past winter, the bungee cords holding down the tarp over my camper rubbed away some of the paint right down to the aluminum. I'd like to have the top professionally sprayed. Any ideas on obtaining proper paint color match, and overall experiences from anyone who has had this done to their pop-ups, would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ron G.

bondo54

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2010
You got any pictures of your Wheel Camper? I used to own a 1968 Wheel Camper boy the fun we had camping in it.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
oddie121 said:
Any reason you're not going to try it yourself?

I second that question.

I'm currently have my pup stripped and waiting for decent weather to paint. I have painted one other pup and a travel trailer with excellent results. I use enamel paint with brushes and rollers and it comes out great. No brush marks ... it comes out looking sprayed.

chippers

Jun 17, 2011
If your colors are anything like mine, please keep them! I love the vintage WheelCampers!
PO20110731_0168.jpg

Ours is a '69 Lodgewagon model. I'm sure the aqua blue and harvest gold was the height of fashion 42 years ago.

Good luck with the project

bondo54

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2010
Chippers mine was a 1968 Packwagon if I remember right same color as yours but the canvas was replaced so it was brown. It had a stove with oven but oven didn't work, heater, icebox and sink with pump faucet that was all the extras it had.

Lisa0nly

Lifelong Camper
Aug 5, 2011
SE Wisconsin
bondo,

The Wheel camper signature color is the turquoise and gold and white. Thanks to Chippers previous research, she sent me a link with original brochures for the Wheel campers.

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/wheelcamper.php

I thought mine was the '67 Chuckwagon but DMom, has corrected me....purchased in '67 - newest model year was a '68. I agree with Orchid too, car enamel will match great. We had a 'tree incident' years ago, dad melted the aluminum and we painted over it. Never leaked.

Mine is on a second canvas, but everything else is stock. Even the 2" foam 'mattresses'. We have the original awning pictured in the '68 brochure. Great seeing Chippers PUP!!!

We need a Wheel convention........ Centerville, MI? Whatcha think, Chippers?

Lisa

chippers

Jun 17, 2011
Count us in! How fun would that be?!

I'll see what I can find out about that campground - hopefully I can do some research this weekend.
( I've never even been to a rally and now it looks like I'm in on helping to plan one? [:O])

bondo54

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2010
Centerville is about an hour away from where I live.by the way Vikings are made in that plant now. Downloaded the info on Wheel Campers maybe DW and I will go through our old photo albums and find some pics of our old camper.

clock152

Feb 5, 2012
hi everyone.. sorry to hijack this thread... I am looking at having to completly rebuild my brand new 1971 wheel camper blue grass.. can you tell me what to use for the side wall's.. on mine (not sure about other wheel campers) there are 2 lift systems, one on each end, that roll the bunks out as it lifts the roof on that end...my rear side wall is detached and held on with L brackets at the moment and it seems that there is a lot of presure on both side walls as the roof is being rolled/lifted...would 3/4 playwood be enough to hold it all up?

MMMandM

Aug 5, 2003
I grew up in a /69-ish chuckwagon version Wheel Camper, looked a lot like the photos of the lodgewagon version up above!!! Would love to have one like it today. The best thing about it, you could pull the pantry out while the camper was down, to picnic on your way somewhere. Great camper, and I love the turquoise blue! :)

Lisa0nly

Lifelong Camper
Aug 5, 2011
SE Wisconsin
MMMandM - we just bought a N2U pup [PU], so my vintage '68 Chuckwagon is looking for a new home.....it is actually still fully operational and like you remember has the pull out galley[ the BEST feature!!!!]

IM me if you're serious about owning one again [CP]

varian

May 25, 2013
Hi,

I Grandpa used to have a Wheelcamper when I was a kid. Where can I find a Wheelcamper Chuckwagon 712 or a Wheelcamper chuckwagon 7 for sale? Also are there any facebook or yahoo groups for Wheelcamper? Email me back.

Thanks,

Varian [PU]