Want to replace my stove, and how do u cook?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Rhconcepts, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Here is what I have

8D6E001A-3BF7-4DC4-ABCD-0D857A54D104_zpszwztkemg.jpg B75C7CEB-6EDA-4018-ABE1-B0C207ED130A_zpsg4fvhrbi.jpg

Problem: After I rebuilt this camper I thought this stove would be great to cook on. Well the griddle does give me more space but cooking eggs is a no go on this unless it's very level. Also the burner won't go very low without going out. Also this griddle does not have a runoff for grease, so I now pre cook things like bacon and sausage at home.
    Question 1: If I want to rebuild this stove cabinet what could I use for a new stove. Being larger would be fine, but it must fit under the table for storage on the inside when the camper is closed up.
    Question 2: How does everyone cook breakfast? Do you use multiple pans and stoves? I want to keep my gear to a minimum, we only go for 2 nights and its 3 people at max.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Katskamper likes this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

In total I have 7 burners I can cook on. 3 inside the TT, two outside and two on my Coleman stove.. recently I have largely been using the bbq and griddle for cooking breakfast, have a new cast iron pan for doing the eggs. .

3. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I have the basic Coleman (vitgo) high pressure two burner lp stove that hangs outside the camper. I fry the meat, eggs, and potatoes on it. Sometimes I use a griddle, sometimes a skillet for breakfast scrambles.
    The inside 3 burner low pressure lp stove is used for coffee, tea, and oatmeal.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like others, I have the traditional 3 burner stove inside and a two burner outside stove. I use the outside stove mainly. I have a hand held cast iron griddle that fits on the inside stove but sadly not the outside stove. So even though I use it sometimes outside I just use a regular large pan. I also love to cook over the fire. Bought a grate with legs, that I can put over the fire. I also sometimes just use charcoal to cook over so I don't have to take my time starting a fire. I don't want to go too fancy, because like you I'm only out for a few nights. I just make due with what I have, but I don't have to cook for a large family.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

jnc and Rhconcepts like this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Camp chef make a universal griddle that might fit and it has a built in drip tray. That being said I got rid of my stove in order to reclaim counter and storage space. I only cook outside now. I have a camp chef weekender and a Coleman road trip grill that are my primary cook surfaces. A Weber q1200 grill is used for BBQ duties as I like the way it cooks over the road trip, and I got it for less than half off too.

I have a collapsible camp kitchen table that holds the weekender and convection toaster oven, and another for the Weber. Road trip has its own stand. So far I have been very happy with this combo.

Bonus all 3 can run off the low pressure lpg port on the camper although I typically only run the road trip off it and have a small 4.25 lb canister for the other two to run off, or use my tree off the main tanks.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We use the LP stove in the camper, and the white gas Coleman outside, most of the time we use one or the other for any given meal. We have a 2-burner griddle that is not CI, but works well for us, it's Nordicware. We also have Calphalon non-stick skillets for eggs (there are two of us). [Love our cast iron, it stays home.]
    For outside use, we can get the stove very level - the roll-up aluminum topped table we set it on has independently adjustable legs, and we have used adjuster legs on the Coleman too (I found vintage ones that attach, and have threaded rods to level the corners.) The LP stove in the pups, and now the TT, all just stayed in place for transport. The Coleman Camp stove is the good old-fashioned suitcase-style, with the fuel tank that stashes inside, so it doesn't take up much space, wherever we put it.

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We have one of the Blackstone griddles that JPBar linked to, & we love it, fits in the pup nicely, & we do most of our cooking out under the awning with this or a Coleman white gas camp stove. Rarely do we use the inside LP stovetop for more than boiling water for cocoa, or wash water.
    On a side note, my son & I went in together & bought one of the larger 28" free standing Blackstone griddles:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009971BM...5CM4SZ1JYSX6D2HR1&ie=UTF8&qid=1506520136&sr=1

Lots of real estate for lots of food, great for when our extended families get together.

Rhconcepts likes this.
  9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the exterior stove with 2 burner is too small to my taste. its also too close to the canvas. I put foil on the splash sides and cover so I won't have to scrub grease off at set down. I am looking into buying contemporary exterior stove to replace the Wedgewood 2 burner.

10. StageLover

StageLover Member

I have a 2 burner plus oven as well as the 3 burner from inside the pup which can come out and attach to the outside. Plus, when connected to shore power, I have an induction unit. However, when we have a group, my go to is my little $40 propane grill with a cast iron griddle (similar to yours) on which I do bacon, sausages, eggs, pancakes or whatever. For cleanup of the griddle, I lay paper towel on it to soak up the bacon grease. Then more paper towel and pour water over it and let it boil off. Then, a quick wipe to get any remnants and a final wipe with Crisco shortening to protect it and I am done.

Sometimes I fail to get it properly level and the eggs do travel a bit. All I do is fold the "escapee" back on top of the body of the egg.

11. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Wow I didn't think I would get this many responses over night, thank you everyone. I love that blackstone griddle and I think it could be made into a cabinet if not I will just rest it on the outside table extension I made. With a runoff for the grease I think it would be ok.

Can I hook my propane line up to this blackstone griddle or do I need to use the small tanks?
    Thanks everyone.

Oh last thing, how many of you pre cook food before leaving?

Orchid likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The only thing I precook is bacon. I hate dealing with bacon grease on a campout. I generally cook my bacon on a foil lined cookie sheet in the oven at home. It comes out perfectly and flat. I wrap it in paper towels and place it in a Tupperware container.

If I had to though I could use the convection oven in the same manner at the campsite.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We take a lot of things we’ve cooked and frozen, soups, stews, brats, breakfast sausage.

14. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

The small Blackstone griddle is set up to use the small bottles, but there are adapter hoses available to hook them up to 20lb tanks.

15. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I very rarely use the LP stove inside the pup. Mine had the outdoor grill with a gas line but it was right by the door and the tent fabric, so when I redid the propane setup I just abandoned that line. I cook over a coleman camp stove (the 1lb green tanks) and with a portable charcoal grill. Or over the fire.

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a Magic Chef 3 burner stove/oven in my TT. I only use the stove in inclement weather. Otherwise, I use one of my Coleman liquid fuel stoves from my 5 ft high stack of them. I take one of my big 3 burners if I have to cook for more than just two of us. For just us two, I use a 425 two burner or it's bigger brother, a 413.

17. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Well I bought a Blackstone griddle and seasoned the pan today. Going to try it tomorrow for lunch. It looks like I can make a mount for this and attach it to the side where the other stove went. Thanks everyone for the help, I will come back with a update after i try it camping.

unnamed.jpg

JPBar likes this.
  18. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Any update?

19. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

please take more pics of your outdoor kitchen as i want to redo mine.
    yours is nice!

my orig stove (surburban) was crappy & heavy.
    quit using it.
    after meeting chef Dean Fearing, i got a butane stove like he used.
    i have to put a bbq grate on top as pan holders are too far out for my coffeepot, but its a great stove for inside. pick your price range:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-...ve-with-brass-burner-8-000-btu/472BR1800.html

outside i just upgraded to camp chef stove & oven.
    last week i got an older coleman 413e white gas stove. needs new pump.

have a fire pit i take & it has 4 L brackets inside that support square bbq grill racks.

at some point on each trip, each gets used.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  20. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Old Coleman lantern and stove pump assemblies were made of brass and leather and can be easily repaired and you can still get parts for them. If the pump leather is dried out and doesn't pressurize, try a little light oil (like 3 in 1) in the hole and work it back and forth. If that doesn't fix it, pull out the plunger and examine the leather cup. If it's broken, you can get replacements on Ebay. If it's just dried out, you might be able to resurrect it by soaking in light oil. As a last resort, you can buy a China knockoff aluminum and plastic replacement kit.