Want to visit Bar Harbor Maine?

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Sokokis, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

If you've always wanted to visit Bar Harbor but still want a quiet camping experience I highly recommend Lamoine State Park. It's a bit of a drive (20 minutes) from the town of Bar Harbor, but the campground is terrific! The restrooms are great, with each shower room a completely private space. Free hot showers, sites right on Frenchman's Bay, and a nice beach/boating area.

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Thanks for the tip! I bet it's beautiful up there. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the campground?

Campit

3. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

If you want to stay close to Acadia and Bar Harbor I would recomend the Bar Harbor Campground. No reservations needed, just show up(best between 11-2pm), get a map, go find a site and set up, then go pay for your stay!! They have all kinds of sites, wooded, open, pull through, tent. Prices are very reasonable, bathrooms are VERY clean, and staff is very friendly and helpful!!! We just spent 6 days there, the last time I was there was 10 years ago after 7years in a row. Every thing was just as I remembered it. Highly reccomend it!!
    Bar Harbor and Acadia is a wonderful place to visit. Lots to do and see.

4. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Thanks for the info! I hope we can get up there sometime in the near future. From Virginia, I imagine it would be a rather long ride?

Campit

5. PuckerbrushCity

PuckerbrushCity I have a ME Gazetteer and I'm not afraid to use it

Acadia has long been a favorite destination!! The Bar Harbor KOA is very nice with waterfront sites, but I suggest getting sites around the point from Rt 3 or you will hear some traffic. Another very nice campground is the Mount Desert Campground at the top of Somes Sound...I haven't been there for about ten years (it used to close right after Labor Day...I like to camp a little later in the fall) but one of the best things about it is that it's pretty exclusive...hard side campers and big motor homes can't squeeze down the access road and it is also right on the water. this year the campground is open until Columbus Day and I am heading there at the end of Sept with friends (they have a pop-up too)

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We stayed at Acadia back in 2009. We stayed at Blackwoods CG (NPS). Nice campground restrooms were clean, but no showers. They were down the road about 1/4 mile on the left going towards Bar Harbor. Could not beat the price of $20.00 a night! It was also about a 10 minute drive to Bar Harbor.

There is a lot to do up there, plenty of hiking and our DS wants to bike the loop really bad!! Bar Harbor has some great restaurants. There is also a camping supply store right on rt 3 just down the road from Blackwoods CG. If you get there early enough for dinner, they offer a lobster dinner for about $18.00 (includes 1 1/2lb lobster, corn on the cob and coleslaw). They also have a well supplied store for purchasing supplies for meals. We ended using them a bit since they were close by and very friendly!!

We are thinking of going back to Acadia next summer so we will take a look at the suggestions you folks mentioned above. But we will need reservations since it is a 13 hour drive for us to get there!

7. PuckerbrushCity

PuckerbrushCity I have a ME Gazetteer and I'm not afraid to use it

Biking the Park Loop road is wonderful. Also great--if you have mountain bikes or cross trainers--are the Carriage Roads of Acadia. Awesome views, beautiful stonework bridges and loads of fun. Not all of the Carraige Roads are open to bicycles, however, so it's a good idea to check your route with a Park map.

8. GearHd6

GearHd6 New Member

We just got back from camping 2 weeks ago at both Lamione and Peaks-Kenny in Maine. Peaks Kenny has MUCH better bathrooms and is a lot quieter, but Lamione is awesome too. As stated before, you're about 20 minutes from Bar Harbor, but you're still close enough to enjoy it.

While there we also went to Schoodic Point, Fort Knox and the Penobscot Bridge observation tower. I'd highly recommend any of it if you're going to be in the area. I'll try to find some pictures of the area that we took. We had a fantastic time.

9. Thea615

Thea615 New Member

Peaks-Kinney is a really beutiful park but is too far if you want to be by Bar Harbor. We have stayed at both Blackwoods and Seawall campgrounds in Acadia Nat'l Park. They are both nice but we much prefer Seawall. It's quiet and there is a beatiful picnic area on the water right across the road. You can catch a bus to go to different parts of Acadia right in the park. True there are no showers but there is a general store very close by that has coin operated showers. We go to Seawall every September.

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Silvermickey, we had the exact same experience. So x2 the recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Yes, Seawall Campground is the place! Why bother going to Acadia if you're not going to stay in the park? It's a great campground and the Seawall "Beach" is very interesting. As noted, you can get showers at the store next to the campground, or catch the free shuttle. Besides, it's on the "quiet side" of MDI about as far away as you can get from Bar Harlem.

12. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Thanks for this thread - we'll be in that area in June

13. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

We liked Seawall. Generators have to be shut down I believe at 8 PM, might want to check on it. We were there in July and it was a bit cool. John

14. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Geez silvermicky2002, if it took you 13hrs. to get there from NJ, I can only imagine how long it would take to get there from southeastern Virginia. I want to go so bad but the way gas is going up now, we'll have to put this trip on the back burner. Thanks for all the info tho.

Campit

15. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Campit, it is a long ride, but the destination is worthwhile. If you can break it up, it might be more palatable. Best family vacation and we have had many.

16. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Campit, we took even longer than 13 hours from the Texas-Mexico border region to get there and I can say we can't wait to return. It's worth the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

My family loves Bar Harbor! We used to rent a cottage for one week each summer. Looking forward to camping there some day.

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Wow Jimbow! Texas-Mexico border region to Maine! That was some trip. How many times did you stop and pop up along the way? How many times did you, Popup Paul, stop and pop up? I was thinking we could maybe stop 2 times and pop up before getting there. I have heard it said that the Maine coastline is absolutely beautiful. But like I said in an earlier post, gas prices are going up and we're gonna wait. It is going to be the trip we take in the future tho.

Campit

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

It was pre popup, we tent camped each night. We returned via Niagara Falls and Chicago. For the five weeks I think we had two hotel nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

I went pre-pop up also. Stayed in a cottage on the opposite side of the town of bar harbor. CLose to the jordon pond. Great place. We drove straight through, but weren't towing. We made it in 10-11 hours. You got about 3-4 to add to that plus towing speed. I think you could make it with one stop over. Somewhere around Boston or before would be good.

Good luck on your plans.