Wanted: Awning Pole Stock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by alwaysonguard, Jun 21, 2015.

1. alwaysonguard

alwaysonguard Member

I bent the lower pole on an 11' Dometic A&E Trimline bag awning. It's the 4' section that contacts the ground, and slides into the upper half of the ground pole. Dealer said "they don't make replacement parts", Dometic sent me a schematic that looks like I can get more than I need. No one seems to have replacement stock, where do I go for this material?

2. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

Unfortunately if you need a stock pole I can't help you, however, if you're open to an alternative, I would take that section of pole over to the Lowe's paint department and see if they have an aluminum extension pole used for painting that might suit your needs. Typically an extension pole is adjustable, so it would have that added benefit. I bet you could pick something up in aluminum for around $20. You can probably pick up one in steel for less than $10.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

My local HWI Do-It store had aluminum pipe the exact size. Drilled a hole in one end and transferred the little spring detent pin from the old to the new... If I had painted it white it would have been exact.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Or, you can make your own replacements using Galvanized electrical conduit. Cheap!

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

6. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We had same issue when we bought our NTU popup and I repurposed a couple of Tiki Torch metal poles by cutting them to length drilling a couple holes and moving the plastic ball stake loop and spring button to the Tiki replacements
    Oh and by the way Tiki torchs were less then $10 each

7. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

When I broke one of the poles I found a local company that makes custom antennas. They had the exact dimension stock that I needed and it cost about $12.00 for a piece.

8. mv520

mv520 Member

At an Army-surplus store, and also at a cheap-tool store I've seen bins of assorted tent poles. Odds and ends, left over pieces of every shape and size and material. Might be worth a look if you have either type nearby.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If you have a metal supply yard, (such as a place that buys scrap metal, you might pick up what you are looking for, many of these places sell metal. I used conduit to replace a broken pole on one of mine..

10. alwaysonguard

alwaysonguard Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm surprised there isn't more of an aftermarket supply on these parts.