Wanting to install a battery and have no idea what I'm in for....thank you!

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Hintucson, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Hintucson

Hintucson New Member

I am remodeling a 1986 Jayco J-Series 806 and am thinking I want to install a battery (it currently does not have one), as I camp most often off the grid.

Would someone mind walking me through:
    1) what kind of battery I should be looking at purchasing (just for basic charging of phones, running lights.)? I do not have an ac unit and do not plan on installing one.

2) how would I go about installing the battery? (ie: does it have to hook up to the electric box? will it need a dedicated fuse?)

3) and anything else I need to know. :)

Thank you for any assistance. The electrical aspects of the remodel are completely new to me and pictures are of TREMENDOUS help!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You would want to get a deep cycle battery. You do not want the kind starting for a car.
    Usually the battery will go in a plastic battery box on the tongue to the tailer.
    As for the wiring. The negative terminal (ground) just needs to go to the metal frame to the trailer. Usually white 10 or 12 gauge wire.
    The positive terminal will need to somehow be connected to the inside convertor (the inside box with fuses). There maybe a wire at the tongue that you could just connect to, but if not a new wire will need to be bought to the inside of the camper. Usually 12 gauge black wire is used. And for a margin of safety a fuse or circuit breaker is placed inline near the positive terminal.

Fbird and bpf108 like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Raycfe is right on with everything.... you may want to do some searching on this site - many people have been in a similar circumstance....

4. Mike1964

Mike1964 New Member

Just bought a used 2003 Coachman popup with no battery...
    I am clueless as to what I need to buy? Any suggestions?
    Budget minded please.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

first you need to answer a few questions.
    1) do you camp without power often?or do you camp at electrical sites more often? If very minimal usage you can get away with a deep cycle group 24 battery.
    2) if you camp without power how much power will you use? Note the electrical outlets do not work without power so your looking at only your 12v stuff already on board such as furnace (a lot of power is used for this), water pump, lights, etc.
    3) how many days will you camp without power? If only lights and minimal water pump usage you can get maybe 3-4 days on a group 24 if you conserve power. Probably longer if you switch to LED lights.