warped leaking storage trunk lid repair

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by goingdowntheroad, Sep 10, 2021.

1. goingdowntheroad

goingdowntheroad New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm considering buying a 2017 Viking Epic 2405st that has a slight leak per the current owner. I think it's fixable - you guys might know better though, but during the visit I noticed the sides seem warped due to sun exposure. The owner admits the camper is never covered despite being parked in blazing sun all summer long. I'm concerned this is a costly fix. Thoughts?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Is the storage trunk part of the camper or a separate unit?

3. goingdowntheroad

It's part of the camper, not a separate unit.

4. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

I believe my trailer is a smaller version of that trailer.

Is the black plastic around the storage trunk lid cracked?

The outside part of my black plastic storage trunk was cracked in three places when I bought it but a couple of hours of work with an Olfa knife, some isopropyl alcohol , masking tape, and a small tube of black polyurethane adhesive sealant solved it for me.

Not the prettiest job but it has held up well so far:
    IMG_20210911_082536643.jpg

I ended up sealing all around the front aluminium rock guard panel as well because I'd still get a trace of water inside when driving in the rain. All good now.

The left rear side of my trailer also seems a little warped around the fridge cutout. I always attributed it to poor workmanship, but I guess it could be environmental damage.

Hard to capture in a picture, but is this what you mean (note the bottom edge)?
    IMG_20210911_084435552.jpg

5. goingdowntheroad

It doesn’t appear to be cracked anywhere but the ends of the lid on top are definitely a bit warped. The current owner mentioned getting a leak inside the back in the middle of the trunk only during heavy rains. We pick it up next week so I’ll have a chance to dig in a bit more to the issue once it’s in my driveway. Thanks for the tips! This seems like a good starting point.