Washing the A-Frame

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cwiggs, Apr 15, 2021.

1. cwiggs

cwiggs Member

I store my a-frame outside and in order to get ready to go camping I pulled it out, set it up and figured I'd wash all the dirt off of it. I did this same thing a few months back and had no issues; other than it being difficult to reach the roof.

After I washed it today I went inside and noticed a ton of water got inside. It looks like the water came in at the point of the a-frame. Could this have happened because I was using a hose to wash the roof; perhaps that amount of pressure forced the water in? Or is the seal up there bad? If it is bad should I replace it with something better?

Thanks.

2. Chris I

Chris I Member

When I hose it down, I take extra care when spraying near the upper roof seal. I've never had water get in, but I don't think they are really designed to keep out pressurized water. Try to "waterfall" it a bit more over the other side of the peak. You may want to check when you fold it down, to make sure there aren't any gaps or other issues with it, though.

3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Make sure to NEVER power wash your Aliner. It will cause damage. Not saying that you did but as a general warning to all Aliner owners who are reading this. Also be careful when spraying around the points of entries like where it folds together at the peak, when it’s folded down by the large gasket/roof seal on the roof, the door area and by the vents and fans.

I agreed with Chris... Use lower water pressure when washing and rinsing. And check for leaks.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

Susan Premo and cwiggs like this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

the upper roof seal (ridge) needs to be the very modest sized factory type of seal - it really does not take much to do the job.

Our Aliner came with a huge non-OEM roof seal that was nuts !! It messed up the whole roof fitment.

Once I realized the screw up - that big seal went out with the trash.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

clean your roof and walls with a hose-attached wet brush extendable shaft thingie, and scooch it all around. Avoid pressure spraying.

Chris I likes this.
  6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@cwiggs
    The roof seal on an Aliner doesnt seem to last long on a Aliner. The upper roof panel is supposed to compress the seal 1/8" per the factory. Has yours lost its springiness and is no longer sealing properly? On an Ainer you can adjust the seal compression with the hold down clamps.

Replacing the seal was "fun". Use plenty of masking as the old glue seemed to get on everything within 10'. <GG>

Nealster likes this.
  7. cwiggs

cwiggs Member

I checked the seal on the roof and it looks fine to me so I think I just sprayed it with the hose too hard/direct. I'll make sure to be more careful in the future.

8. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@cwiggs...

Be sure not to clean the windows with soap or window cleaner. It will damage and create a hazy film on the polycarbonate windows. Use Novus to clean and remove scratches from your windows. It works but takes some elbow grease to do. Do it in small sections. Aliner’s manufacturer, CNW recommends it done once a year to maintain your windows. Also, we used an RV gel fiberglass cleanser/waxer on our Aliner for 7 years. It kept the Aliner looking new on a 8 year old unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-P...dchild=1&keywords=novus&qid=1618766112&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Gloss-RV...and+wax&qid=1618766392&sprefix=rv+gel+&sr=8-3

Happy Camping...[put&hy]