Washing your clothes / doing the laundry on a trip

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Koalavan, Dec 31, 2018.

1. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We go to the laundromat if we are gone longer than a week. We wash about every 6-7 days. We bring enough for that amount of time and then wash. For longer trips, we just plan ahead where we will need to wash. Sometimes the campground has facilities, other times we have to do it in town. Like others said, it takes about 75 minutes total for wash and dry and fold, so not too much of a big deal. I usually bring along a roll or two of quarters on a longer trip so we have change for the machines. For 6 people camping, typically takes two loads of wash and one or two of drying depending upon the size of the dryer. We dry our towels and swimsuits out on a clothesline all the time at campsites with no issues.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Koalavan and myride like this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Even when we're on a non-camping trip we never do laundry for at least a week, can maybe even stretch that to two weeks. When we camped for 10 days last year I had to convince my wife that we *could* do laundry as a backup plan so she didn't pack 2 outfits for each person/day lol. But we didn't need to.

I suppose if you a person that changes outfits several times a day then you might need laundry.

Koalavan likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For us it all depends on how long we are gone for.. 5 days or less we just do laundry when we get home. 5 to 10 days we take 6 days worth of clothes and on the 6th day we will hit a laundromat as well as do a fridge/freezer re-stocking trip. 10 days or longer we will take enough clothes for half the trip plus one day and that plus one day clothes is the day we hit the laundromat.

Koalavan likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We can usually get away without doing laundry on our 8-night trips, but there are a a lot of variables. We take clothing for a range of temps, since they can sometimes range between 40 and 100 on any given trip. If we end up with extended time at one extreme or the other, or encounter bad weather, we may need to do laundry.
    We were reminded to not cut things too closely last fall, on our long weekend to Grand Canyon. On the first day, a heavy, sudden rainstorm soaked both of us - it revealed that Courtenay's rain coat no longer repelled water and mine was too short. I had only brought one pair of sneakers, so had to make do the rest of the weekend. I had just enough clothes, but if we'd had another soaking, we'd have been at the laundry facilities. Not just because we'd have needed clean clothing, but so the damp things got dry. (We ended up drying the first set as far as they would in the TT and putting them in the truck, it was cold enough they didn't sour before we got home.)

Koalavan likes this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

3-4- days, no need for laundry but most of my trips with granddaughters are 2 weeks or more. I "allow" 6 days worth of clothes ...that's one outfit a day, undies/socks for each day (one extra pair of pants/shorts in case of a problem during the day). I was very quickly reminded after our first trip together to NOT let their mother pack, I ended up with enough clothing for the whole two weeks worth plus an extra 3 days worth "just in case"...and what child needs 4 pairs of shoes on a camping trip?......so PaPa oversees what comes out of their house when leaving, a list from me beforehand alleviates any stress. We make a visit to the laundry once a week in the closest town gives the little ones a chance to shop/ice cream/wander about while we wait.

Sjm9911 and Koalavan like this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Have to agree that most folks overpack for trips in regard to clothes. Luckily, with teen boys, they think they are fine with one set of clothes for the whole trip (but we make them take more and change).

HappyTraveler and Koalavan like this.
  7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We typically do laundry once per week on long road trips (don't want to visit elderly relatives smelling like a campfire). We like to travel on two-lane highways and stop in small towns where laundromat, grocery store, and café are close together. With one stop we can walk the dogs, wash clothes, shop and get lunch. It makes a nice break in a long day of driving.

On our regular out-in-the-woods trips, we usually don't do laundry because campfire smell and dirt is part of the experience. But we do have a bucket, soap, clothesline and pins (pegs for those down under), just in case.

At home, we hang clothes out to dry most of the year. To get a good drying rack, we had to look to Australia...Hill's Hoist.

Koalavan likes this.
  8. davido

davido Active Member

I haven't ever needed to do a full load of laundry on a camping trip in a popup trailer. I just bring enough for the trip and a couple extra sets of socks and underwear just in case. But backpacking I would go light, and that sometimes meant doing some laundry by fetching a couple collapsible buckets of water and hand washing some clothing, putting it out on a line to dry. No big deal.

I've stayed at commercial campgrounds with laundry facilities. If I had a need to wash more than a couple small items, I'd just use the laundry facility. At 4-5 bucks that's a little expensive. I've typically seen cheaper. But either way worth the price to not have to spend a lot of time away from the enjoyable parts of the trip. Without a laundry facility, just a bucket and some detergent. People washed by hand for centuries before the advent of the washing machine. Washing by hand still goes on in many parts of the world. If you do it frequently enough get a washboard. They don't have to be big and awkward. I see them on Amazon starting around six bucks.

Koalavan likes this.
  9. BedHead

BedHead Member

We have never done a load of laundry while camping. I have hand washed and hung up underwear or a T shirt a couple times but that's it. We frequently go for 2 weeks but never longer. We just pack lots of clothes since we have the room.

As for hanging clothes and towels on ropes strung between trees- doesn't everyone do this?? Everywhere we go people have ropes strung up, if not for clotheslines then for tarps or shelters or awnings. I've never heard of them damaging trees and I've been camping literally all my life.

That said, I have started packing a folding clothes drying rack for our towels because once in a blue moon there's a campsite that has no trees.

Koalavan likes this.
  10. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Didn't know that campers changed their clothes.:p

Koalavan likes this.
  11. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

It's so interesting reading all these replies! I actually took photos of the drying area last time we went away - this was at a big family caravan park so it's one of the biggest I've seen, but anywhere we've been with washing machines has some lines available. You can always see the ones who forgot to pack pegs though!
    https://imgur.com/a/ceD1klb

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Koalavan - nice clotheslines! I've never seen them at a campground in the US.
    I'm very spoiled at home by having lines in our sun room, which we use as a utility room. It was originally a patio, but the first owners of the house enclosed it. The cats think it is "outside", the windows at ground level give them lots more to see than regular ones. In the winter, we also gain heat from it, with a fan that moves air into one of the inside rooms. Not such as great thing in the summer though, especially after the huge tree that shaded it in the hotter months had to be cut down.
    We dobn't really have space in the yard for an outside clothesline, and given the wind and monsoons we have here at various times of year, the lines in the sun room are wonderful to have.

Koalavan likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I havent done laundry while camping yet, i pack light, and longest trip was 8 days. I will need to do laundry at disney, its a 14 day trip. I have the close lines under my slide outs as the pop up princess did, for bathing suits and towels. At home, there is always a line in the basement, but with the newer dryer i dont use it much. When i was a kid every home had a closeline that went to a tree or poll in the backyard.

Koalavan likes this.
  14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Underwear and shirts for each day and pants for every other, with an extra just in case. If we are staying at the in-laws camp we will hit the laundromat in town and hang it on the clothes line. I have a clothesline at home (in the basement during the winter and outside all the rest of the year). The only thing that goes in the dryer is underwear and towels.

Koalavan likes this.
  15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We tend to camp for longer periods of times than most, so sometimes end up doing laundry. Both the state parks and Disney's Fort Wilderness (our places of choice) have laundry facilities at every loop. Not too pricey at state parks, I think it's $3.50 total to wash and dry. A bit more at Disney. Sometimes it worth it to have clean undies and towels. [LOL]

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We have a clothesline here at home and use it year round, even with 3+ feet of snow on the ground, it just takes longer. Even though we do have a natural gas dryer, we rarely use it. Really like how things smell when they're dried outside.
    While camping, we wash our underwear in the shower using shampoo. If there are no showers, then in the evening.
    Packing, we both take two sets of clothing and wear the third. Not doing much to get that dirty and we are changing underwear every day and cleaning up with shower or spot bath. On short trips we just wait to do laundry at home. On longer trips or if our clothes get REALLY dirty, then we've hit a laundromat to wash and dry.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Your clothes doesn't freeze on the line?

18. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

They will, but they will then dry through sublimation.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

when wet clothes freeze, can you shake to free ice from clothes? Just a theory of mine.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Yep, clothes freeze, usually before I'm done emptying the basket.
    But as eoleson1 said they dry by sublimation; clothes freeze solid on the line, then given enough time, they end up dry with no ice on them. The whole process takes all day if it's that cold out. So I try to get them hung out first thing in the morning, then by bed time, they're not frozen any more.
    And the clothes smell amazing!

I've tried that, but found that they were still slightly damp. Clothes were really soft though, and I don't use fabric softener. Line drying tends to make clothes stiff, but doesn't damage the fibers like tumble drying does. I also think breaking the ice off frozen clothes may damage the fibers, too.

Last edited: May 6, 2019