washington area campgrounds

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by HAWKEYE71, May 17, 2017.

1. HAWKEYE71

HAWKEYE71 we love to camp

NEED to find camgrounds near Washington DC from AMES IOWA

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

try posting under district of Columbia, should get better results

3. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Next week I will be staying at Cherry Hill Park Campground outside D.C. It's on the bus/metro line and has many amenities. It will be my first time staying there so I'll report back later!

4. Deesko

Deesko Member

There are a TON of campgrounds within 2 hours of the city with everything from the Chesapeake Bay to the Shenandoah or Catoctin mountains for back drops. PA is generally going to be 2 or 2.5 hours or more away from DC proper. We have private CG's, national parks, state parks and regional parks in this area. ReserveAmerica is a good resource to check out.

Only ones I can speak of from personal experience:

North of DC:
    Cunningham Falls State Park, Thurmont Maryland.
    Nice state park in the Cactoctin Mountains which is the northern end of the Appalachian's. Has a lake for fishing & swimming, camp store, nice hiking trails and from our experience, decent enough sites w/ electric. No sewer hook ups so you have to dump but they have two dump stations so delays aren't that bad. They do not have water hookups for each site, they have like 3 or 4 water faucets scattered around the CG for you to fill up your tank (at least in the loop we stayed in). Nice views. The lake/swimming area is super popular in the summer (like park filled to capacity popular so plan accordingly).

1-1.5 hours to DC or 45ish min drive to the Shady Grove Metro station to take the Metro (subway) into the city.

West of DC:
    Only place we've stayed West of the city at this point is Jellystone Luray in Luray, VA. Nice campground, full hook ups, pool, arcade, ice cream stand, putt putt golf, very nice bathrooms etc. Our kids love this place. 5 minutes from Luray Caverns, close to Skyline Drive etc. Really nice area in Shenandoah. There's also Shenandoah State Park and a TON of other state or national park CG's in this general area.

1.5-2 hours to DC or 1 hour-ish to the Reston Metro station.

South of DC:
    Pohick Bay Regional Park
    Small regional park in the suburbs of DC on the Potomac River, mostly electric/water hookups but I think they have a couple of full hookup sites. They have a water park in another section of the park that seems pretty nice. CG is set up like a big circle surrounding a common area/playground. Sites on the inner side of the loop tend to be decently level but I would avoid the sites on the outer side of the loop, they're better suited for tents IMO. Trails lead down to the bay (off the Potomac), you can fish and there's a marina to rent kayaks etc when in season. Restrooms are nothing fancy but generally clean, camp store has firewood and basic necessities. You're tucked into the suburbs so you're 10 minutes away from full blown shopping centers, movie theaters, etc but the park itself still feels isolated.

30-45 mins to DC depending on traffic or 20 mins to the Springfield Metro station.

Good luck!