Wasted propane on extension hose after shutting off

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by SFCamper, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM.

1. SFCamper

SFCamper New Member

Hi, we have been camping with our Aliner Ranger 12 for more than 6 months, over long weekends and over the summer and so far so good. Back in May we decided to split our 20lbs propane tank extension with a Y adapter to add a 20lbs to 1lb converter to use it on our outdoor Coleman camping stove without having to carry additional 1lb portable tanks. We noticed that after shutting off the propane gas valve if we want to get rid off the gas collected in the hose lines we need to burn it from both ends, from the outdoor stove and the Aliner indoor stove for about a 2 minutes or more on the highest temp level before there is no more gas in the lines for it to be safe to disconnect. This process feels like a big waste of propane if you ask me. Not sure if this is normal or if there are any other alternative best practices that we are not aware of. Thanks.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Normal. I just disconect , or let the propane out without burning it off to take the pressure off it. The inside one i leave alone. So, you have propane left in the lines, after you shut off the tank it needs to be bleed out of the outsode one, so you can disconect and store the hose. The inside stove will be fine with the gas left in the line.

myride, BillyMc and SFCamper like this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Hmmm, just never considered it an issue. I've just disconnected and moved to the next task.

4. Sjm9911

You would if the hose is like 15 feet and your have a fire going near the stove or grill your disconnecting, there is atually quite a bit of propane left over in the lines.

5. SFCamper

SFCamper New Member

Yeah. Our external hose is 12 feet. Good to know then. I. have even time it so I can estimate when to shut the main valve while I'm finishing cooking so no gas goes to waste. But wasn't sure if it was normal for it to collect so much gas on such a thin hose. Thanks for your input.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've always just disconnected too. And I have a 15-20 foot hose going from our high pressure side to my grill.

The "waste" is so negligible. And you're still saving a ton of money compared to 1 pound bottles.

Last time we camped I walked by a campsite that had like 6 1-pound bottles spread out on their table, as if they were all needed at once. I find those bottles so incredibly wasteful. I don't understand why Coleman fuel fell out of favor.

CamperMike, Sjm9911 and SFCamper like this.
  7. Sjm9911

I still take a 1 lb bottle, saved me when the squirrels ate through the propane line. So , get braided lines or shut the gas off before bed. Squirrels are sneeky. And really hate rubber propane lines.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I use a 24ft hose for my portable propane campfire and during take-down I just close the valves on my two propane bottles with the campfire burning to clear the hose. I also light the inside stove to do the same for the internal lines. Have never had an issue and the amount of propane being used is negligible.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. tfischer

I take a 1 lb cylinder strictly as backup. I needed it once when my hose lost it's rubber washer and couldn't be connected.

10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I also just disconnect my 20ft hose and don't give it a second thought. I never bleed the lines inside the camper so I don't have to bleed them again on the next trip. An alternative is to just refill your 1lb bottles.

11. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

I learned this year that its really good to burn off propane in the lines before you pack up and drive home. If you don't propane that was under pressure will lose the pressure in the lines and change from a gas to a liquid. Over the years you'll have a lot of liquid (not gas) propane in your lines that backs up and gets into the regulator and destroys the rubber in the regulator and blocks the flow of gas. I recently changed my regulator and found a whole bunch of liquid (not gas) propane that came pouring out when I disconnected the regulator to replace it. My friends at the LP service store said that's why you want to burn off all the propane in the lines before driving home. So now I have a new practice. I made a video about my process to change the regulator but have not had time to edit it yet. This was one of the learnings from that process. I have much better gas pressure now that all that liquid is drained out of my lines any my appliances run the way they are supposed to.

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Huh, never even considered it, I just disconnect and go.

13. tfischer

Wouldn't "burning it off in the camper" be exactly the same as "disconnecting it at the tank"?

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I never gave it any thought. Now I only have a 4ft hose on the bbq and a 5ft hose for the stove, but I don't use a Y connector so I have to swap the hoses each time I use either stove or bbq since they share the same 20lb tank.. I'm not worried about running out of propane, since I have twin 30s on the trailer plus the seperate 20 for the stove or bbq.

Only way to cut down on your waste is to use shorter hose or when cooking your last meal, turn the tank off and let the line drain while finishing the cooking..

15. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We always close the valves and allow what’s in the lines to burn out. Shut off the appliance after the flame goes out for our stove, grill, and propane fire pit. We stopped using the small green bottles but still keep a few for emergencies.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

FARfetched likes this.
  16. tfischer

I use a Y adapter on the high pressure side right off the tank... pup plugs into one half, our grill plugs into the other. There's no way to shut off the hose without shutting off the entire tank, which would often mean lighting the fridge again, etc.

Since I usually take the grill down after our last grilled meal, and we want the fridge to last through the night until we tear down the next morning, I just disconnect the hose, get a brief blast of propane, and that's that. It's not like I'm smoking during it lol.

17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Same here, I just disconnect and let it vent. If I am using a standalone tank I'll shut it off and burn out what is in the line or tree on the last meal.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

It's not THAT big a waste...
    Assume a hose ID of 1/4" and a pressure of 150 PSI. That hose holds 0.0047 pounds of propane gas. You'd have to vent that hose 3829 times to empty a 20# tank (assuming 18# actual fill)

19. phipps

phipps Member

Not true. LP is only liquid under pressure, ie why it's stored in a pressurized tank. As the pressure lessens it turns to gas.

WrkrBee likes this.
  20. Rocket Don

Rocket Don New Member

With all due respect, you have some bad information here. The propane left in the gas lines cannot just "change from a gas to a liquid" In order for that to happen, you would have to lower the temperature to approximately -44ºF! Once it got warmer than -44ºF, it would flash back into gas. The gas lines would not accumulate liquid propane over time. I do not believe you were pouring liquid propane out of your lines. It would have been violently boiling and freezing anything it came in contact with. I can only guess that what you poured out was a contaminant of some kind, possibly water.

WrkrBee likes this.