Watch out for the Buffalo

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by bearair, Aug 28, 2010.

1. bearair

bearair New Member

Stayed at Custer State Park last week and Buffalo were roaming the camp ground. One even woke us up one morning when it bumped the PUP. People got way too close to them sometimes because they seem so calm. But remember They are WILD and BIG!!!

2. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

So much for "give me a home where the buffalo roam...." Personally, I'd feel "buffaloed" into staying inside the PUP. In all seriousness though, those things are best left alone unless getting gored and stomped is your idea of a good time. I've seem idiots in Yellowstone approach both buffalo and moose like they were domesticated animals suited for petting and close contact. Sometimes, peoples general level of stupidity amazes me.
    MR

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I would not want buffalo roaming my CG. One charged me when I stopped along a roadside outside Grand Teton NP. They can be nasty and they are very fast.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've had to stop on the side of the road in Yellowstone when a herd decided that it wanted to walk down the road. You wait while a couple hundred of them, including the calves, just stroll along. The good news about this is that you can shoot close-ups through the open window. The bad news about this is that after the herd passes you must drive the next mile or so through hundreds of pounds of fresh buffalo poo.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We were in Yellowstone last week and the amount of Bison we saw was unbelievable compared to 2 years ago! There were some huge traffic jams because they were walking down the road or decided to stand in the roadway and not move! Also saw a lot of bulls fighting alongside the road. A little scary when you are stuck in traffic and they are moving closer to your car!!!

6. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

Three years ago in Custer State Park DW and DD were heading to the restroom in the dark and Mr Buffalo was standing about 10 ft from them.....talk about noisy campers....