watching the world go by

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by chiefbowes, Apr 6, 2010.

1. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

Does anyone else like to set up early and then watch the show? We like to arrive early and get set up. Actual set up time 20-30 min start to finish. then set down in your favorite chair with a beverage of choice and wait for the show. The husband and wife team trying to back the ever so to big camper in to the tiny spot. The screaming heard thoughout the campground as they "work " together.
    Th pile of canvas "nylon" and pole spaghetti followed by the scream of air pump filling their air mattress.
    I live for these show of shows How about you???

This is the world going by

2. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

I'M LIKE YOU.....I too like to set up early not just to watch other campers but just to enjoy everything around me. but watching other families set up can be entertaining just as I am sure I am just as entertaining to watch when I am setting up. we all have our ways don't we! [LOL]

3. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I love watching others get setup as much or more so than others like watching us get setup lol. We have been getting better about it with less arguing, etc.

4. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

It's one of my many favorite pastimes in the cg along with just walking around and checking out everyones campsite setup and organization. One occurance that we will never forget was up at Straits State Park in St. Ignace. A family of four came in to setup behind us with a full size van and a thirty foot TT. We sat on our picnic table and proceeded to drink a couple of beers while they shouted and argued over the placement of the TT. After forty-five minutes or so and after knocking down the site posts on both sides of the site and almost backing into my PUP (I had to yell at him), they had had enough and pulled out. I thought they might have gone up to the pull through sites but we never saw them again.

5. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Ditto on what jwolfe01 said. I would much rather watch than be watched. It is not as much of a big deal anymore now that we know what we are doing. What usually bugs me more is other people trying to be helpful with backing in. My wife and I have a system that works for us, throw a couple of well meaning people into the mix and it seems to take 10 times longer.
    MS

6. Orion

Orion Member

It took me a year to get over the paranoid factor. I felt like everyone was watching me for a SPUT. [:I] Now that we have a newer and bigger pup this year I will probably go through that same feeling for the first few trips. I know pup's are pup's but when you switch you loose some of the confidence you had with the previous one.

Now that the kids are bigger I am going to create a whole new check list and have them assigned certain steps so I'm not doing 90% of the setup.

Orion

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

We always used to watch tenters setting up tents, or for more viewing pleasure break out the ole 5 gallon gas can to start a fire.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The first set-up of the season for us is always not as smooth as the rest of the season - whether ground tenting, pup-upping or backpacking. I guess it might be entertaining to others, we're usually busy enough to not really notice if someone is watching.
    When a friend and I took her daughter on a long trip a few years ago, and we set up both the tent & the pup (there is definitely not space for 3 in our single-bunk, tiny pup!), we were watched more than once. The first time we set-up, the people in a humongous MH across the way set up their chairs and obviously stared at us. We'd practiced at home, since she had not helped with the pup before, so we probably were not as entertaining as they expected. At another site, someone kept glaring at us, though we never figured out why - we were quiet and thoughtful of others, so we figured the problem was their own.

When another friend and I took a ladies' trip, with ground tents, the camp hosts watched us set up, in a walk in site, in the pouring rain, and told us later they were surprised at how well we managed to do so.

While I enjoy people-watching at times, it is not a major source of entertainment while camping - though it certainly does offer some interesting moments.

9. hunt182644

hunt182644 New Member

Sounds as much fun as setting by a boat ramp on a busy weekend. [:D]

10. Jean

Jean New Member

Actually, I think it's more entertaining. Sometimes you watch people at the boatramp, and you are seriously concerned for their safety. I don't think that happens AS much at the cg. But, yeah, same idea.

Jean

11. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I am by nature, a people watcher, so I will admit to watching others set up camp. I just like seeing how others go about setting up their version of the perfect campsite. Watching folks with popups tends to be more interesting than those with TT's or MoHO's. Most tent campers are minimalist, therefore not much to see after the tent is up. It also seems that most people with the larger RV's pull into the site, plug in, flip a few switches and to inside to stay. Those of us that camp with pups, now we are interesting. We have our ways of doing things and our things to set out and set up. We love to make the site our own.

So what I am saying is, Yes, I love to watch other puppers set up their pups and campsites. Althought at times I might get a chuckle out of someone, mostly I just like to see how others do. No harm intended.

12. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

Its not that a enjoy other peoples troubles, because i have provided plenty of entertainment. i also am a people watcher and am very friendly. I have helped on many occasions. I like the diversity that you see and am glad that people still enjoy camping. This is a family and friend based event

13. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Watching "the show" is great but I would agree that the "boat back in" is the best.

14. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Yep, watching other people set up is fun, some do well and others, well, not so much. Watching us set up is pretty boring, because I always do what Mrs. Mosbyranger tells me to do. It's much easier that way..
    MR

15. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I worked at a large marina when I lived in Florida. Let me tell you, there is nothing on this planet that is more entertaining than watching weekend boaters try to pull up to a dock, fight current, play bumper-boats and try to get their boat onto the trailer. [LOL]

16. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

yes watching people can def/. be entertaining [LOL] We too always arrive early to set up. I am sure i can quite comical to watch sometimes to.

17. wecamp

wecamp Member

It is especially fun when someone has borrowed a tent and has no idea how to set it up. I call that Invent-a-tent. If I can see how it should be set up I will offer to hepl/

18. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Orion, I love your idea of a checklist for the kids! I will have to work on that over the coming weeks. They usually want to help, but they do need redirection . . .

I really don't like getting to a cg after dusk, as setting up quickly and quietly is a challenge with 3 kids who are so excited to be in a new place. We usually camp at different parks, as we're trying to "collect them all."

I know we're providing entertainment for some . . . hopefully, we are not too loud, though. I try really hard to keep everyone as quiet as possible while we set up, but the kids just love life and camping. At least they aren't demanding to watch tv or play video games.

19. BoatCamp

BoatCamp Enjoy!

Now that's another advantage to getting there a day or two early.
    No one to watch us make our mistakes, and we have all the time in the world to watch learn from others. [;)]

20. wirogue

wirogue New Member

Guilty of watching with the occasional snicker, only because I can remember the comedy shows we have put on for others ourselves.