water and sewer??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by leningradka, May 12, 2016.

1. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong spot.

Have any of you found any good resource on where to find out where to get water and dump on your way in/out (if you are going to CG that doesn't have it?). Is there a site dedicated to this? Google doesn't seem helpful, and looking at every CG on my way to where I am going is getting old.

TIA!!!!

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

3. leningradka

Thanks Dubbya! In general, can you fill up your water tank in the same spot? Is that drinking water or no? thanks for helping a newbie

4. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

read what is posted it will say if nonpotable water

5. Dubbya

They'll usually have a hose with a sprayer attached for rinsing out gray and black water tanks or hosing down the drain area and another tap under a sign that says "Potable Water" or "Drinking water".

Look for the signs and you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, always bring along a 24 pack of drinking water from the grocery store.

BTW, a Reliance Hydroller holds 8 gallons of water, has a collapsing handle and two little wheels that you can drag it around on. For $25, it's a great purchase. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-8-Gallon-wheeled-water-container/10098756

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There are some rest areas, gas stations, convenience stores, truck stops, sewer plants, etc. that have dumps, many are on the rvdumps list (sanidumps is another, I have that app on my phone). Last year, the dump station listed at a town sewer treatment plant was not to be found, so the lists aren't perfect and/or things changed.
    In the Tucson area, our friends have found that the TTT truck stop has a dump station, free if you fill up the gas tank. (The storage facility they now use also has one, so they can choose which is easier.)
    Many commercial campgrounds have a dump station that you can use for a fee. Handy for us, there's a KOA 2 miles from the house so we can dump the tanks there for $10. There's a convenience store/gas station that might be easier for us on the way into town from another direction, but I surveyed it and it would be tight for our rig.
    Sometimes, there are roadsigns that will point to a dump station.

As for water, we are able to fill up at home, our TT pulls fine with water int he tank, and we can use it on the road. For refilling during a stay we tote it from the campground spigot in a jug and use a siphon to fill the tank. Sometimes there are places in or near a campground where you can hook up your fresh water hose (white) to fill your tank. However, in most of the campgrounds we use, hooking a hose to the common spigot is not allowed, for sanitary (back-flow) reasons, among others.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I would offer this advice... I would not suggest filling your drinking water tank with any hose that is located at the dump site.

If a hose can reach a rig at a dump site, it has very, very likely been used to either flush out a tank, a stinky slinky, a spill or a rolling tank.

If you need to fill with potable water, use a hose that is not collocated with a dump site. "Looks clean - it's probably okay" is a bad start to a weekend of GI woes.

I'm usually not a fear monger, but wastewater is how I make my living, and trust me, there's not a lot of common sense out there on the topic.

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Even most national parks have dump sites and a separate hose for water fill up. They are usually placed far enough apart so you can't use both at the same time.

I also have a clean out port on my sceptic tank, I have been meaning to add a hole thru the fence so I can drain the tank at home.

10. Dubbya

THIS!^^^

11. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

The potable water spigots are usually painted BLUE.

12. kitphantom

The location of the water spigot does make me look at the set-up in a full hook-up site differently now.
    We have separate rinse and fresh water hoses, and back-flow preventers (plus pressure regulator), bleach wipes, etc. Up to now, all but one of our dumping sessions has been done in a full hook-up site. I have to admit I prefer that, we can take our time, but it won't always work out. On some trips, we stop overnight on the way to/from our main campground, so when possible we reserve full hook-ups as needed for dumping. That's what we'll do on our Memorial week trip. (I have already located a campground a couple of hours from my MIL's, which will make a nice stop when I drive to see her in the fall.)

13. leningradka

OMG, that thought has crossed my mind, but now it is solidified! Thank you! I think I will fill up at home and just tow it!! LOL

14. leningradka

how do you siphon? Is there special thingy to do that? Sorry so many quesitons!

15. leningradka

while I am on the topic, I remember reading somewhere that you should be putting a little bit of bleach into your water tank to sanitize the water? That sounds disgusting to me (but then again, the smell of bleach makes me barf, so there is that [:(O]). Do you all actually do this?

16. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

17. kitphantom

18. leningradka

I'm definitely learning Chinese here!!! Thanks so much guys!