Water Crossings - sealing the PUP

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by wicked4x4, Dec 9, 2011.

1. wicked4x4

wicked4x4 Member

I do mainly boondocking and off the grid camping. Spent much of the summer with the PUP in the garage for some needed updates/mods (yes there will be a resto/mod thread when i get around to uploading pics and writing detailed post...), including lifting pup with an SOA conversion, and larger wheels/tires. I need to check my reference pics, but I'd say I raised the PUP 6-7 inches or so...

Anyways, I happened to find a campground that I like a lot, and it is pretty remote, most people just truck/tent camp up there, because of the long dirt road in, and the area is known for moderate-tough 4x4 trails, but I take the PUP in. Just before the campground, there is a water crossing. In the summer it was probably about 15-20' long and about 16-18" deep; when the trailer was low (stock pre-lift height) I plowed the bottom about a couple inches through. Late summer, after a couple rain storms I went again (semi lifted, SOA but with stock tiny tires), of course the water was deeper and I plowed probably about 4-5 inches.
    [:O] Never any leaks or signs of water inside...but I don't want to have to worry.

Well now the trailer is a bit higher, but I know the water will be MUCH higher this time of year if I go back. What have any of you done to help water seal the bottoms of your trailer? I'm not worried about sitting in the water, and it is just quick going through, but it is wood in there, and I know what happens when wood gets wet...I was thinking of opening the front rear panels (which I will be doing when I paint anyways) and heavily coating the wood with Thompson's water sealer, maybe spraying some expanding foam into the the gaps going into the sides. Any thoughts?

Thanks, happy camping!
    -Wick

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This is just me, but I would not do that with a standard, wooden PUP.

3. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I would personally sand all surfaces CLEAN and make sure it is totally dry and humidity in your area is LOW when you do this...and that is spray RHINO LINER over EVERYTHING. It will seal out water, but if you spill water on the inside, remember that that water has no where to go now because basically you have created a "TUB" with the Rhino Liner.

JJ

4. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

It's going to be rough on your lift mechanism, too. You can't really seal that up, but maybe a little extra maintainance will do the trick.

Greg

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

We have a NFS C/G in western NC that I very much like and a group of us have rented the group site which required fording a creek usually less then a foot deep. The NFS laid some concrete slabs down at the creek bottom so the road went into the water and continued on to the other side. Now the water was never so deep that it was floor bottom high but no doubt water got splashed up onto it. Never any problems with that quick of an exposure, probably not even as much as driving down the highway during a steady rain.

Like a lot of others here on the board - one of the very first things I did with the p'up when I first brought it home was to go over the bottom interior using a sealant for every incoming/outgoing line, and for every crack where the floor meets the sides.

6. phalynx

phalynx Member

I say you keep lifting it higher ala "atoyot". Do I see 31's in your future?

7. wicked4x4

wicked4x4 Member

thanks for the replies and tips.

obviously higher is better...but quite a bit of consideration went into what i already did for tires and lifting...it would take a lot to make bigger tires fit, as the ones i've got JUST BARELY clear the door opening when it swings down.

happy camping all