Water damage inside PUP

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jmcelvoy, May 10, 2018.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

We popped up our 2008 Jayco 1006 PUP a couple weeks ago and found some standing water in it. It had rotted one of the boards you stand on when getting in to the bed, and ruined the top of one of our inside tables. After reading up on this, it sounds like the most logical problem is a faulty seal around the air conditioner. We had it covered, but not with a waterproof cover. I called the local RV shop and a new seal is $30 and then they quoted me $330 to install it. Is this something I can take on myself? I've watched some videos on it and aside from unwiring/rewiring the AC unit, it doesn't look difficult. Has anyone done this that can give some guidance?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The seal is not that hard to replace, It really helps to have a friend help you. you will have to lift and move the AC over past the 14 X14" hole on the roof to install the new seal. Also must remove the inside covers , this takes removal of 4 bolts (one in each corner from the inside) and removal of the electric supply. (do this first)Then lift the unit, remove the old gasket (hopefully is was not sealed with silicon, clean the area of the old gasket and place the gasket sticky side down and press in place. Re assembly is the reverse of the dis-assembly just make sure you have the unit lined up over the hole. Hope this helps. Good Luck and Happy Camping

jmcelvoy likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure if your Jayco has the center seam on the roof or not, if so that seam can be a cause of leakage as well. Sadly it doesn't take much, a simple crack in the caulking could cause standing water. Found that out with my old Jayco.

jmcelvoy likes this.
  4. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

No center seem on mine. I can't think of anything other than the AC unit that could be letting water in.