Water Filter on Water Heater Discharge

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by jdkmrc, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jdkmrc

jdkmrc New Member

I recently flushed my hot water tank and a lot of debris came out, including what appears to be tank lining???

Has anyone installed a water filter strainer on the water heater discharge side to catch any water heater crud?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The crap is from the water heating up. If you put a screen on the discharge im sure it will clog up. Dont drink hot water. Even at home. Dont cook with it eaither. I had hard wayer where i used to live , it takes a toll on the plumbing system.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Leave it alone, just empty and flush it out ever so often. I agree with Sjm9911 that the hot water will be unsafe to drink.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Being that I can't always be certain of the water source I don't drink the water from the PUP (hot or cold). I do however cook and perk coffee with it. I only use the hot water for washing dishes or bathing. The supply has a screen, filter, and another screen. The faucet has an aerator/screen also.

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Why do you say it would be unsafe to drink?

6. Sjm9911

All hot water is, it sits in a tank and boiles repeatedly. The minerals sediments and such come out of it and it leaches the lead from the solder and copper from the pipes , and whats left of your aniod rod is in there also. In resturants they always use cold for cooking. Your atually supost to drain your water heaters yearly, who does that? If you do tou will see the sediment build up on the bottem and you will never drink ot again! Drink the cold, after it runs for a few.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I drain mine after every trip, flush out what ever sediment (rarely is there any) and let it dry. Then the system gets sanitized on the way to the next campground if I plan on using the fresh water tank. Otherwise the filter will take care of any particulates from the camp post.

8. Sjm9911

If you say so. But that anoid rod has to go somewhere when it erodes. I rather it not be my stomach!

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

All hot water heaters do not have an anode rod, Atwood does not have one

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Correct, but then the water absorbs the aluminum from the tank.