Water Heater Blows Itself Out

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by nfisherman, May 13, 2012.

1. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

I have a Suburban 6-gallon water heater. It had a sporadic problem last year and it seems to be permanent now. I can light the pilot light without any trouble, but when it's time to heat water, the gas comes on and then nothing happens for a few seconds and then I can smell gas. Soon after that, there's a whoosh of flame and then the burner and pilot light are off. I have relit the pilot light several times and tried again but the same thing happens. I've cleaned out the burner tube and orfice. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. surgipat

surgipat New Member

I don't know anything about fixing your water heater, but I carry a 30 cup electric party perk (I picked it up for 8 bucks at a thrift store) when we stay at non-primitive campsites, and I use this water to clean the dishes, etc. (We shower in the campground showers) I got this hint from another Popup Portal member, and it works so well, I honestly don't even know if my gas water heater works. lol.

3. jeeper2007

jeeper2007 New Member

Is the pilot lined up correctly. Sounds like its not lighting right away and the gas builds then when it pops it blowing itself out. Unless the gas pressure isn't right. Make sure no damage to lp line. Just my guess anyway

4. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Thanks. Jeeper, you made a great guess. I just figured it out myself. It was the pilot orifice. Even though I could light the pilot, the flame was too weak to light the gas quickly. That allowed gas to build up too much and then blow itself out. I had cleaned the burner orifice, but not the pilot orifice. I cleaned the pilot orifice and now it works great.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great ...... news