water heater problem

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sonoma camper, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

Hi,
    We just got back from a week of camping. Our water heater gave out. Tank rusted out and sprung a leak. When i got back I removed the water heater. The tanks looks pretty rusty. We have a Fleetwood/Coleman
    Model Americana (Sequoia). The water heater is a manual pilot type and is all one unit made by Suburban Manufacturing Co. Model #SW6P. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase another unit?
    thanks

2. jtuc1

jtuc1 Northeast Alabama

Hello,
    Sorry to hear about your water heater problem. I looked up the mfg of your heater on google, and found their contact information. I'm sure that if you contact them they will tell you where is the nearest place to purchase a new one. They also have a page on their site where you can put in your zip code, and they will tell you on the nearest repair facility. Here is the site:
    http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/contact.php
    I would be very much interested to see how this turns out for you, because I have the same brand of water heater in my pup. If you don't mind, send me a message when you get done replacing yours, and let me know what I may expect when the time comes to replace mine.

3. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

ok. I looked up that website, but they don't sell directly to consumers. I have found some sites that carried it, but thought I would post this to maybe get some place that I didn't know of. The local RV place does sell them but very expensive. I found one on EBay that is a fairly good price. I might get it from them. It is warranted. I have found that Suburban you have to buy the whole unit. The tank is what rusted out and the gas burner is fine. it was very easy to remove. I will do some redesign on mine. I want a bypass so that it doesn't have to go through the heater. If I had that it would have been easier for us. Because of the leak the pump would continue to run which was not good. I could have still used the water tank if there had been a bypass. A tee and 2 valves should do it.
    thanks

4. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

They make bypass kits for water heaters. The main reason they are sold is for winterization of your camper's water system. Roughly the kits are about $20.

Water heater bypass kit

5. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Google PPLMotorhomes. They have a lot of parts.
    Good Luck with the repair
    Happy Camping
    Ken

6. sonoma camper

sonoma camper New Member

thanks for the info.

7. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Also remember to check and change the anode at least once every couple years, some will do it every year, others every couple, all depends on how worn it is.

I'm willing to be you had little to nothing left for an Anode, it is the anodes job to keep the tank from rusting (just like on the big water tank in your house.)