Water heater removal

Mikey26

Jun 7, 2021
I'm going to be removing our water heater (never will be used) to free up space. However this will leave a hole in the side. If I leave the access panel (which I plan on) this will still leave an opening due to the vents. Any suggestions on what to do to board up the hole?

John6239

Aug 17, 2020
Ohio
I'm considering doing the same thing at the end of the season. I am on the fence between trying to repurpose the flimsy-ish water heater door or putting in an actual access door in it's place once the WH is out. I'll be curious to follow along and see your work!

Mikey26

Jun 7, 2021
Sheet metal over the vents and maybe a wooden door on the inside wall. I wouldn't seal up the opening as it would make a nice access point to load things when the top is down.
Good idea on the sheet metal. I do like the idea of an access door since it will open up into my storage area and now have a door on the other side. But I would like to add a lock somehow. I'll have to think about that.
Thank you.

Mikey26

Jun 7, 2021
I'm considering doing the same thing at the end of the season. I am on the fence between trying to repurpose the flimsy-ish water heater door or putting in an actual access door in it's place once the WH is out. I'll be curious to follow along and see your work!
I'll keep you posted, I'll try to take some before and after photos.

John6239

Aug 17, 2020
Ohio

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Definitely do a lock. If you don't key an access door as mentioned above, put a lock on the inner door and make the outer door look a if there's still a water heater behind it, maybe paint that sheet metal black or even put bug guards on the outside.