water heater

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Passnthru, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Hi folks, hoping for a little knowledge. Water heater on 99 Coleman Niagara. Trying to light this thing for first time, believe it sat around for years without being used. First of all the anode as I found it was disintegrated. got a new one and washed tank out dozens of times with white chalky substance coming out. finally got it clean. Tried a bunch of times unsuccessfully to light pilot, took all apart blew everything out, got a lot of junk out of bottom of burner compartment. Everything seems to be clean. Finally got pilot to light and stay on but when I switch to on position I either get a pop and it goes out or I hear gas running but no flame. Also no idea if related but I get no gas to outside stove, I push the pin in on connector and hear and smell nothing. Furnace lights and inside stove lights. Confused and don't understand if some kind of regulator problem affecting all three or if totally unrelated. Imagine RV repair shop would be costly so looking for a little help. Otherwise pup in great shape and ready to roll. Thanks.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Try setting your temp selector a couple of notches lower.
    You also need to let the pilot light burn for a minute. I use a wooden dowel to keep the button depressed.
    [​IMG]

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

+2

you need to bleel out the lines.

1st open up the stove until you smell propane. Then either hold down the propane pilot button for 2-5 minutes while you keep trying ti light, or cur a pice of wood or pvc pile or something the you can jam between the top of the water heater case and the valve depress. Let it keep it depressed for 5 minutes, the let it up for a minute and then hold it down and light.

Once the pilot lights, hold down the button for 30 to 60 seconds.

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Good advice so far. If it still doesn't work, you might try to replace the thermocouple.

5. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Does the high pressure valve operate the water heater and the outside stove? that would be the answer then. Thanks so much for your help.

6. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Thanks Guys , what finally did the trick was jamming the pilot button down letting gas flow for 5 mins without lighting then turned of then jammed down pilot and lit and let run for 5mins. also adjusted pilot light a little larger. After 2 days of trying on and off got it lit thanks to all the great advise here. The outside stove I believe is the regulator .