water pump kicks on every now and then

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ham fam, Sep 23, 2019.

1. ham fam

ham fam Member

My 12 volt water pump, keeps kicking on just for a second every now and then. lt is only used to draw water from the holding tank. Anybody ever have a similar issue? And a solution?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Last night, I drained the tank, then turned on the faucet to remove the water in the lines. Once the water was removed from the lines, the pump ran until I turned off the power to the pump. So, I'm guessing that you may either have a small leak or another reason why you are getting air in your water lines.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Theres a diapram between the pump and tank. Sometimes it gets stuck a bit.

4. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

Mine did the same thing on our first "maiden" voyage camping.

I found that the "low-point" cold water drain T-VALVE under the sink was not seated correctly and was leaking onto the ground under the camper. Thus the 12v pump would run when the pre-set pressure would drop.
    The tiny C-clip had popped out and was laying on the floor next to it (whew). Seated the valve - Re-inserted the clip - no issues since.

( pic is the actual valve - but it stands up with the "T" at the highest point and the barbed end directly opposite goes thru the floor w/ a small hose attached)

My 2cents...

Attached Files:

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yup.. the water pump on our TT does the same.. the pump is sensing a pressure drop to it runs to rebuild the pressure.. 2 of the common things that leak are the check valve on the city water connection (usually leaks if some has cheated while winterizing and left the pump turned on, when they pressed the "pin" to open the check valve.. the seal gets rolled over) or the over pressure valve on the water heater... less common but will cause the same issue are, dripping faucet, one of the swaged fittings on a line is not tight allowing air "in", water heater anode/plug leaking or if your trailer has low point drains, one of them leaking.... In my case it is the drain plug on the water heater drips a little bit..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Ditto on the leaking water heater anode for me. Had to reseat it to stop it.

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

And if you boondock it is using battery juice to be in standby.

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

That is not be true.

The pressure switch is more like a second on/off switch. When pressure is above the threshold, the switch is off, no current is drawn. When it drops below the threshold, the switch turns on, and the pump draws power.

xxxapache and alabasterjar like this.
  9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Internal check valve in pump leaking? Which is common

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We only turn the pump on when we plan to be using it, though we do forget to turn it off once in a while. With the original pump in the TT, it would kick on relatively often if left in standby state, we never found a leak. We upgraded to a better pump, which is less noisy, and takes much longer before it gives a quick trill if we forget to turn the pump off.