Water Pump/Sytem Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by threebeachboys, Sep 14, 2015.

1. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Hey All - Well, as long as I have been camping in a pop-up (20 years), I've only used the on board water system 1x. And did not use the water heater with it.

So, do I need to do anything special to use the water heater when using the on board water tank/pump? I know you are not supposed to light the heater unless there is water in it. . . . . How does the water get there? The same way as with a city hook-up? Gosh, I feel like an idiot asking. . . . .

I have an Aliner Ease with electronic ignition heater. The water pump system worked when I bought the camper in June, so I expect it is still ok. Thinking of venturing out to an electric only site.

Thanks.

2. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

you probably just need to make sure there is not a bypass involved. a bypass is where the water gets to the pipes close to the water heater but doesn't doesn't allow it to go in. imagine an capitol "H". the water comes in on the bottom left and the heater is between the upper 2 pipes. the house or camper faucets are to the right bottom side. if a valve in the center is open and the one going up on the left and right are closed then no water can get in the water heater. if the 2 valves are open to the WH then it can fill up even if the one in the center is opened or shut. of coarse you won't pull any hot water unless the center one is closed. to be sure you have water in the WH open a faucet at your sink. cold first. when your sure [steady water delivery] on the cold side open the hot side and close the cold. when it stops sputtering air you have a full WH.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

yep water get in the hot water tank the same way, but via the water pump and the water from the tank.

Just turn on the pump run it and open the hot water faucet to bleed out the air. Once the hot water tank is bleed you can fire up the water heater.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Since the water hasn't been used for awhile, I recommend sterilizing the system prior to using it.. Including sterilizing the HW tank..

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Ditto the above and recommend pulling the anode out to check or replace it as it has not been used in some time.
    (when you sterilise, you will probably pull this to drain the tank anyway!)

6. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

good idea on pulling the heating Anode as I think I read on my replacement last spring , that high levels of chemicals could damage the heating element.. rinse out very well when done. [:D]