water Storage tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by packofwises, Aug 3, 2012.

1. packofwises

packofwises New Member

Has anyone done away with their water storage tank? I don't foresee my family ever needing the storage because most places we have water hook ups and really, I don't know if I would drink or cook with water that came from it, not knowing if the PO sanitized it well.

On another note, how do you sanitize it?

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

To sanitize use a 1-10 bleach mixture. We never use our tank either, but it weighs next to nothing, so I am just leaving it there.

3. nuthut

nuthut Member

To sanitize it you use 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water for 15 gallons if tank is bigger adjust accordingly. Then fill tank up run water with pump till you smell the bleach do hot and cold shut off for 1 hour let sit in pipes and tank . Then drain tank and fill with fresh water and flush system by running water till bleach smell is gone.

4. packofwises

packofwises New Member

I was thinking extra storage space. LOL.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Mine is in a closet in the carport [8D]

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Mine had one, but the PO removed it. It came with the camper, but I wouldn't use it, and I like the extra space. Mine was in one of the dinette benches. It all depends what kind of camping you do though. If you boondock, you are gonna want one.

7. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

You can also clean it with sodium metabisulfite. People that make home-brewed wine, beer and soda use it to sterilize bottles, particularly plastic bottles you wouldn't want to heat up.

You can get it at any store that sells home-brew wine and beer supplies.

Note that no matter what you use, you want to rinse thoroughly.

Also, if you have an allergy and can't drink wine with sulfites, then this probably isn't for you.

Steve

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Since my camping is 99+% dry camping or boondocking I couldn't do without a freshwater tank. Sanitation is easy and I do it at the beginning of each camping season.

Another thing to consider is that lack of a fresh water tank will lower the value of your PUP if you trade it in or sell it.

9. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

Yes, certainly if you pull it out, keep all the parts and take pictures of it before you pull it so that it can be put back in.

Steve

10. singledad

singledad New Member