water system rockwood pup

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by capt, Jun 16, 2013.

1. capt

capt New Member

This is our 1st pup and we received 5 min of instruction on the total package. We have a 2004 Rockwood with no clue about how the water system works from filling to draining. Help.

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

First thing... Welcome from Virginia!
    We have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 2280. What model do you have? Maybe I can help you?

Campit

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, enjoy and have fun. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

Don't own a Rockwood by will run down the basics. On the outside of the PUP (popup) should be a fitting (maybe marked "drain") remove that cap and for that matter and other caps. Pour water in the sink and see where it comes out. This will be the sink drain. The next thing to check is the city water connection. Will be a female garden hose connection. At home or a campsite that has water, you would connect a water pressure regulator (bass, not plastic) to the source water, then a white drinking water rated hose from the regulator to the city water connection. The regulator will protect the hose and the PUP from to high water pressure. On the inside of your PUP if you have a single lever faucet, turning or pushing the faucet control should let the city water flow.
    Your PUP should also have an onboard water tank. Could be in, or under the PUP, or even a removable jerry can type. When no city water is available, you should be able to pump water from this tank to the faucet. Most on board tanks will have an outside water fill. It should have a larger cap and you may also see a smaller vent hose next to it. This is how you fill the water tank. Use your white hose and fill until water comes out the vent. Hooking up to city water will not fill the water tank, and usually overrides the onboard system.
    To pump water from your onboard tank. Disconnect the city water hose. Next your PUP may have a simple hand pump built into the faucet, or an on demand electric pump. It will do manual first. moving something on single lever faucet.... lever, pulling knob up and down, should pull water from the tank. If you have an electric water pump. When you turn on the switch, it will start to pump and pressurize the system (opening a faucet will help get the air out). The pump will shut off by itself and come on when you use water. Most PUPs that have a home bathroom type faucet (2 knobs) will have an electric pump.
    Hook up to city water first to get used to the system. If you also have a water heater it will fill it when you open the hot side of the faucet (will take a while... 6 gals). Do not light/turn on the water heater just yet .... but this should get you started. Please get back to us with your progress. Hope this helps.

Gab1131 likes this.
  4. capt

capt New Member

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a try. Haven't had a spare moment to check anything out including our model number. Will give the advise a try and then move on to figuring out how to use the stove, the furnace etc. It's all so foreign to us former tent folk. Ah technology, ain't it grand.
    Seriously, we are dying to go camping.
    Thanks again... sure you'll hear from us greenhorns in the near future.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Will make you camping pros in no time. Many good people here to help.

6. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Which model Rockwood?

On my 1640 LTD the water tank is under the dinette seat. There is a fill port on the outside of the camper that clearly states it is for non pressurized water filling.

After filling it, to use it I turn on the water pump, which is a little on/off switch with a red light on the side of the dinette seat facing the door, then use the faucet that normally is for hot water, but on mine, since i have no hot water heater, it is for onboad water. The "cold" water faucet is for city water. They are labeled. The on board water needs the water pump turned on to get pressure. The city water is already pressurized, so nothing further needed there, just connect the hose to the outside of the camper and it's good to go. I used a pressure regulator when i connect to campground water to be sure it's not OVER pressurized and might cause a leak or burst.

To drain the onboard tank, I open up the dinette seat and turn the valve near the floor. It drains out the bottom of the camper. If water is coming out of the bottom of your camper when you go to fill the water tank, check to see if the valve was left open.