Water tank size concerns

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Lost in Space, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I'm looking at Aliner and Rockwood A-frames. I like a lot of things about an Aliner Expedtion with 2 soft dormers. But have one big concern. The tiny 11 gallon water tank vs the Rockwoods 26 gallon. Why doesn't the Aliner come with a bigger tank? We like to boondock and think this might take the Aliner out of consideration. How do you folks deal with this? And what makes the Aliner worth the substantially higher price? Thanks...

2. Econ

Econ Active Member

Go to Walmart and get a 7 gallon water jug in the RV section if you aren't afraid of drinking out of a plastic container. If not, get glass cider jugs.

<<And what makes the Aliner worth the substantially higher price?>>

Check resale values and construction. The big eyeopener for me was visiting 2 model year old Rockwoods for sale at an RV dealer and seeing the amount of rust on exterior parts.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

As Econ said, it's easy to add more water capacity by carrying one or more water jugs. The quality of construction is something you should compare. Boondocking usually means bouncing over bumpy roads and poorly constructed aframes will rapidly show the effects.

4. Lost in Space

Is there a valid reason for such a small water tank? The goal, IMO, would be to not have to use up valuable space to carry water jugs. As for construction, I looked closely at both brands and didn't notice any major differences like I thought I would. I had looked at Somerset pop ups and was amazed at their construction superiority. Thought Aliners would exhibit the same, but appears not to be the case.Thus my asking the owners here to help me understand. Thinking that the size of Forest River and much larger number of camping units made means less profit margin needed per unit. I'm not against spending on a superior product, but want to know what makes it superior?
    Also could not find info on Aliner site regarding exactly what Performax 500 floor is?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. Gil Palmer

Gil Palmer New Member

For what it's worth, six of those gallons listed for the Rockwood are held by the hot water heater.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Columbia NW uses a small water tank on Aliner because of water weight. A bigger the tank makes it heavier. CNW is marketing at being more lightweight than the others. That’s why Aliners weigh less than the competition.

When a I go boondocking, I always fill up the tank and bring 21 more gallons of water in 3 Reliance Hydrollers. For 2 people showering, washing dishes, and hand washing each day will last four days.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It may be partly to reduce weight, since water is heavy. Many don't want to tow with water in the fresh water tank, to save towing weight. Since we mostly dry camp, we do tow with water in the 20 gallon tank in our TT + 6 gallons in the HWT. That lasts for the two of use for 4 or 5 days, and we can add water from our water jugs easily with a rattle siphon. We always carry a jug or two of water in the vehicle anyway, too many years of hiking and camping in the desert. This week, I'm going to a Sisters on the Fly event and it was suggested that we fill up with water before arrival, since the facility has one spigot and that would create a roadblock as most will arrive in a short window of time.
    The limiting factor for us is more the capacity of the waste tanks, so the fresh tank is actually pretty good size for those. (For our next trip to CO, we will be doing most dishes outside and taking gray water to the dump thing, since we'll be out 9 nights.)

8. jadmt

jadmt Member

I have a new Ranger 12 off road edition and if I had to do it over would go another route. Quality is poor for a camper that listed for $20,000. We have camped in it about 30 times so far this summer and cannot believe the Rockwoods would be any worse quality. We have 11 gallons + 6 gallons of hot water but when using the hot water it melts the side of the camper which Aliner says is normal. The concept is a great idea the product is not in our case. Ours would not hold up to even pulling it down 20 miles of smooth forest service road.

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

A neighbor who has owned a camper his whole life is a mechanical engineer. He was consulted about a design consideration encountered during a repair. He put it this way. You are used to car quality. These are campers. Think "Yugo". If it is a upper level camper think Vega, or Fiat. I hope you are young enough so you don't remember the Yugo <GG>

jadmt likes this.
  10. jadmt

jadmt Member

yes I remember Yugo's lol. Funny how you will see about every other car on the road but I could not tell you the last time I saw a Yugo.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Lost in Space

I remember Yugo's. Quality and durability do not go hand in hand with light weight. I am looking to replace my 2004 Palomino Pony pop up. Talk about low end. But I know what it takes to stay on top of these things.
    I have found that the Rockwoods with dormers are too heavy hitch weight for my TV so I am now focusing on an Aliner Expedition with dual soft dormers.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A lot of these small trailers limit the water tank size because they cater to folks who will always have hookups. No need to increase weight if the customer will never use the tank.

For me, I would not get less than a 20 gallon tank as I dry camp almost all the time.

My FnR has 20. I have four 2-1/2 gallon jugs to increase time. With the cassette toilet and a grey water tote, I can go indefinitely as long as there is a toilet and potable water spigot nearby.

13. Econ

Econ Active Member

Had an interesting conversation with the manufacturer of mine. They show two propane bottles and a battery on the tongue of the brochure but the official tongue weight only includes one propane bottle. No second bottle nor the battery. Dig into the details.

The nice thing about 7 gallon jugs is you can choose weight distribution.

I suspect the frames on pups are lighter weight and a big water tank far away from the axle could eventually bend the frame.

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Way too small

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The answer should be obvious - more water means a LOT more weight if you actually fill a larger tank to capacity and 2) an Aliner is quite small compared to larger TTs so the real estate available under the floor to install a larger tank may just not be possible.

16. jadmt

jadmt Member

my ranger 12 with dual tanks and battery has a tongue weight of 265 which is like 100lbs more than Aliner claims.
    There is plenty of room to put a bigger tank in the location that the Ranger 12's h2o tank is in and the difference between the 11 gallons and 20 gallons in weight full would be 72lbs not really enough to make a difference. Maybe Aliner should give a choice if want bigger water tank than no hot water can be installed. I know the hotwater tank set up takes up as much room as the freshwater tank does and they sit side by side. I thought hot water was going to be nice but after it melted the side of the camper I really do not like using and heat the water on the stove. I would rather have 20 gallons of fresh water now.

17. jadmt

jadmt Member

area directly above water heater
    [​IMG]
    hot sunny day sitting parked in sun.
    [​IMG]

after tank blower kicks on.
    within a few minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would continue to keep getting hotter but I shut it down. I have seen over 250

HappyTraveler likes this.
  18. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous! If it is new or under warranty I would be throwing a fit.

19. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s not right

20. jadmt

jadmt Member

it is new and only way to fix is replace the entire wall and to do that it has to be shipped back to PA. I might throw a fit at the end of the season. There have been several of these reports after I posted mine and some said Aliner said it was owner's fault and others said Aliner said it was normal and others said Aliner agreed to fix it if it got worse. There is no way it should happen but what do you do.