Water tank size concerns

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Lost in Space, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

Yes, towards the inside, but i was thinking to vent away from the trailer wall on the outside also.

2. Nealster

Nealster New Member

I really don't like those water heaters. I've seen too many of those hatch covers on the side of the road. Has anyone tried rigging up one of those solar showers to the city water inlet for doing dishes etc.? I bet the wind/lift assist would be a good spot for a hook to mount it.

3. Lost in Space

The city water hookup relies on water pressure to operate. I don't believe the water pressure from the solar shower would be sufficient to provide a substantial water flow, especially once the bag became partially emptied. And you would need to adapt the hose of the shower bag to provide a screw on cap to attach to the city water inlet. Might make a good experiment.

4. jadmt

jadmt Member

got the parts from Aliner. Not the greatest fix but hopefully it will work. Better than nothing I guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  5. Lost in Space

I think that will make a big difference. Have you fired it up since doing this?

6. jadmt

jadmt Member

yes it helps. It stayed under 130 give or take.

Lost in Space likes this.
  7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Looking at the photo in message 17 again it is curious that one of the dimples is not directly above the exhaust area. It is has if there was a hot air leak from under the outer cover.

Please be more descriptive of what the baffle is. Is it the piece of sheet metal that someone covered with metal duct tape?

What caused the dimples? Surely fiberglass can take the heat. The wall is Styrofoam sandwiched between fiberglass sheeting and plywood. Did the Styrofoam start to melt sucking a dimple in the fiberglass panel? According to Dr Google: Styrofoam is made of polystyrene beads. Polystyrene melts at 240 Celsius (464 .

8. jadmt

jadmt Member

IMG_20190901_082608730.jpg View attachment 54681
    yes I just covered the piece of aluminum diamond plate they sent for the baffle with some metal tape to make a better seal to the door vent. according to Aliner the foam melts and sucks the fiberglass in with it. It obviously got hot. I know in the future I will not leave my h2o heater on for more than 10 minutes and will not rely on it kicking off when the water is heated. It is supposed to kick off at 180F which is too hot in my opinion but I can not find a way to lower the auto shut off to a more reasonable temp. Regardless when I fired it up long enough to get the water plenty hot ie over 120F the heat on the side of the camper was considerably less than before. the small dimple area was also not hot so the baffle did the trick of routing the heat far enough away. the above is the instructions Aliner sent.

9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Is there an easy way to turn the heater off? IE: let the heater heat for 15 minutes then turn it off because the water is 120*F?

Ours didnt come with a water heater. Understand those puppies cost $900.00. We use a kettle and the stove.

10. jadmt

jadmt Member

yes there is an off/on switch by the water pump off/on switch so very easy to do. just have to remember. It was a $700 option on mine. It was an option I wanted and am still glad I got. We also use the stove to boil water for coffee and oatmeal etc but the water heater is nice for washing etc. and adds 6 gallons to the water supply.