Water vs cold weather

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by slowfatknitter, Oct 5, 2013.

1. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Would like to do more cold weather camping. Do we hook up to city water or fill the holding tank? We have a hybrid, so the underside is enclosed. Do I worry about the hose freezing? Grey or black holding freezing? Should I winterize and not use the sinks or bathroom?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't think the source of the water matters very much. The critical question is whether or not it will be below freezing. If so, I would take the trailer out winterized and not use the water systems. If it will stay above 32F you should be good to go for normal use.

3. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

You also have to think about towing and wind chill. It will make a diference! i plan on winterizing after the next trip and just not using the water tank or city hook up. I can live without it a few times, just have to make due if I want to camp longer [A]

4. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Have a friend that winter camps and uses his black water all winter. He had a heater in freshwater tank and it insulated and then decided bag that aspect... His black he adds to all winter long and dumps first thing when he finds an open place. They do ski patrol and the black water is flushed with soap bottles filled with clean water, this limits the amount of excess fluids that would fill it more quickly. He has never has never had an issue and we live in Michigan and they patrol up north every other weekend. However they only use at night when done patrolling or when napping with kids and don't want to leave them.

5. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

I'm good not using fresh water system. We can carry water and heat it on the stove. As far as cleaning goes...a dish pan is fine. I've been saving my laundry bottles...finally a use for them! I'll go ahead and winterize in a couple of weeks...still have some 80 degree weather forecasted. Thanks PopUpPortal friends! Ya'll are the best!

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Wind chill has no effect on the freezing point of water. It will have an effect on how fast the water cools off to ambient temperature but if it is above freezing all the wind in the world can't make it get colder.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have several friends who winter camp in a winter warriors program, where the trailers are parked on sites for the winter... One couple uses their trailer and systems as designed.. they fill the water tank with water carried in , in aquatainers. They use the water heater and the full grey and black systems... They re-winterize each weekend, they have it down to 30 minutes... Now they do go through about 20 gallons of pink each year...

A couple of other families who winter camp will use the grey and black systems and empty those into a tote to dispose of one the way home. For fresh water they use 2 aquatainers, and boil water on the stove for washing dishes and use a pitcher of water to "flush" the toilet.. All they have to do is dump some pink down the drains and toilet after empting the tanks.

8. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Tombiasi is correct. Wind chill only effects bare skin. I lived at 7500 to 8500 feet for over 20 years. With proper gear the only thing that became cold on me was bare skin. There are numerous charts available showing the effects of wind chill and ambient temperature, most will advise that it only effects bare skin. Just a little info for winter camping. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It effects the way heat transfers to ambient air. If something is warm the air flow can cool it off faster but never below ambient. The human body attempts to maintain heat so increased air flow will hinder that.

10. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

thanks for clearing that up for me. I just read that on another posters message.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It depends on how cold. If it's going down into the 20's at night and coming back up into the mid 30's in the day. I'm ok with running all the systems. I might leave a drip in the sink at night.

But if it going into the teens at night and day's in the high 20's. I winterize the camper and use bottle water. I would not be concern at any temp using the black and gray water tanks because they both have room for the ice to to expand.