waterproofing question for a palomino

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by crisnrich, Jun 29, 2009.

1. crisnrich

crisnrich New Member

I know we've been MIA on the boards, but we've been out trying to camp in our NTU Palomino. So far, everything has gone great!!! However...we've found on bunk ends in rain we're getting leaks thru the seams, mainly where the support bar presses against the canvas.

So being this is the palomino with the vinyl backed canvas, what should I use to seal the seams up?

Thanks, happy camping.

Cris

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I used the 'roll on' Seam Sealer from Walmart on my old Pal bunkend seams - worked fine. I had one that was fairly snarky......I think I ended up sealing it up by also spraying their silicone spray on the inside and outside of the seam.

3. Goldens

Goldens Member

I also tried the seam sealer from Walmart and it was a frustrating experience. The felt applicator didn't work that great so I removed it and used a brush to apply it and it dried kinda glossy. So on my 1st camping trip I thought I was all set, but the canvas around the bunk end support poles got wet just like yours. [V]

I had brought some Sno-Seal along with me and rubbed it into the seams, that was 8 months ago and I have been through some heavy downpours and it hasn't leaked a drop or has even gotten damp.

Some have recommended using a cake of beeswax to rub into the seams, I think the Sno-Seal is easier to apply because of it's creamy consistency.

Just my [2C]

4. Dr.Hook

Dr.Hook New Member

Sno-Seal is the stuff, a great waterproofing sealant.

Great for treating goalie pads too!

5. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Sno-Seal IS da bomb! Treat my boots every year and bake 'em in the oven. Used it to lubricate my awning zippers too. Never thought of using it as a seam sealer. Great idea.
    Adam

6. crisnrich

crisnrich New Member

Thank you everyone! I went all over town and was not able to find Sno-Seal. I finally got some of the walmart orange cap stuff. So here's a really dumb question...do you use the stuff on the inside (canvas side) or the outside (vinyl side) or both? [?:~{]