Waterproofing

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Alice10, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Alice10

Alice10 New Member

Hi everyone. Recently bought and renovating a 2001 Palomino Filly. Did a cleaning to remove mildew with Star Brite and now would like to waterproof. I see lots of warnings about being careful not to use the vinyl waterproofing on canvas and vice versa, and that PUPs use all different types of materials. So very basic question, but is all the white material on this type/year of camper canvas, and the darker material vinyl (example pic below)? Also any tips for the bunk end corners, that seem to be getting extra wet when it rains. Thanks!! samply filly.png

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Menehune and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Alice10

Alice10 New Member

Menehune likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Starbright also make a waterproffing. I ised it on the tenting ,not the vinyl. If your seems are leaking , you may need a seem sealer also.

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  6. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

On my trailer, which looks to be similar to yours, the zip down bunk end windows are canvas, and the rest of the bunk ends is vinyl, and everything in the main part of the trailer is vinyl. Canvas lets some light through, and vinyl does not. Canvas needs to be waterproofed every few years (when water stops beading up on it) and vinyl is naturally waterproof so does not need to be waterproofed. Vinyl should be treated with a product with UV protection in it to prevent cracking and brittleness. Be very very careful to not get canvas waterproofing product on the vinyl, apparently it destroys it.

Menehune likes this.
  7. Alice10

Alice10 New Member

Thank you super helpful. Got some 303 for the canvas zip downs and seam sealer to try on the edges so we will see.

Menehune likes this.
  8. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

Nice! Ya, for the vinyl I really like Thetford 62032 Protect All - All Surface Care or 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant.
    For the canvas I used 303 Outdoor Fabric Guard, which i found easier to paint on then spray on. Easier to see where I had already done, and less chance of getting any on the vinyl parts.

Menehune likes this.
  9. Volly

Volly New Member

I had to restore a popup for a customer and for the vinyl I found a repair kit. Theirs had a couple of holes in it. Worked like a charm.

Menehune and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Dave Fro

Dave Fro New Member

like this?
    Tear-Aid Repair Type B Vinyl Kit

Menehune likes this.